Every motorcycle owner in Missouri is required to have proof of insurance, and to be able to show it whenever requested. Motorcyclists must have the insurance before they can register and ride their cycle on state roads.

Two-Wheeled Vehicles

Only two or three-wheeled vehicles known as motorcycles need to be registered and insured in Missouri. Rides with larger engines or rides which are fast enough for the Interstates are categorized as motorcycles. Motor scooters like Vespa belong in this category and they have to be insured. If the following describes your vehicle you won’t need to insure or register it:

  • Automatic transmission.
  • Less than three gross brake horsepower.
  • Engine of less than 55 cc.
  • Can’t get faster than 30 mph on level surfaces.

In cause you still have doubts whether your ride needs registration and insurance call your local Department of Revenue (DOR) office, or the main DOR office at (573) 751-4450.

Motorcycle Insurance Requirements

These are the bare minimum amounts of insurance that you must obtain in Missouri:

  • $10,000/accident for property damage.
  • $25,0000/person for bodily injury or death.
  • $50,000/accident for bodily injury or death.

Many more types of coverage are available. See the form at the top of the page. You can use it to get instant quotes for auto insurance and it can also help you save on motorcycle insurance in the future.

Helmet Requirements

In this state everyone is obliged to wear a helmet while on a motorcycle. This does not affect insurance premiums.

Financial Responsibility

You can establish financial responsibility by using one of these ways:

  • Purchasing liability insurance.
  • Placing a $60,000 bond or deposit on hold with the Department of Revenue.
  • Filing a real estate bond with the Department of Revenue.
  • Self-insure (dealers only).

Proof of Insurance

Make sure you always have proof of current policy with you. You can present as proof one of the following:

  • An insurance card or copy. The insurers will send you a new one before the old one expires. Most residents do that.
  • If you haven’t received an insurance card yet, the receipt with all your information on it will do.
  • A Self-Insured card from the Driver and Vehicle Services Bureau (dealers only).
  • If you filed a bond or certificate of deposit, a Financial Responsibility ID card from the Driver and Vehicle Services Bureau.

Note: When you register the motorcycle, the DOR will have you sign an affidavit swearing that you will maintain insurance while the motorcycle is registered.


If you are not able to present proof of insurance upon request you can get the following:

  • A supervision order, letting the state monitor you.
  • Four points on your driving record.
  • License suspension.

In case you’re driving with no insurance at all you are facing:

  • Automatic license suspension and fees.
  • Filing a Form SR-22 for three years, if you’re in an accident.
Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.