The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requires motorcycle owners to prove they can handle the possible expenses associated with riding a motorcycle. In the state of North Carolina, a cyclist can establish financial responsibility by having acceptable levels of vehicle liability insurance. Having insurance for your motorcycle allows you to ride legally on state roads.

Two-Wheeled Vehicles

North Carolina defines mopeds as the following:

  • A moped is a vehicle with a motor of less than 50 cubic centimeters, no external shifting device, and that can’t exceed a speed of 30 miles per hour on a level surface.

If you are not sure whether your ride is a motorcycle and needs insurance, call the DMV at (919)715-7000 and you will find out.

Motorcycle Insurance Requirements

The mandatory insurance requirements, you must meet in this state, are listed below:

  • $25,000 for property damage occurring in a single accident.
  • $30,000 for bodily injuries or death to one person in a single accident.
  • $60,000 for bodily injuries or deaths to more than one person in a single accident.

It is always a good decision to obtain more extensive protection. There are several different types of motorcycle insurance, you can choose from. Also, you can buy insurance by using the form on the top of this page, and what is more important, save on motorcycle insurance in the future.

Helmet Requirements

Wearing a protective headgear while riding a motorcycle is not an option in North Carolina. All cyclist must wear helmets and meet the stated insurance requirements.

Financial Responsibility

You only have one choice to prove your financial responsibility in this state, and that is by purchasing a liability policy that meets the state’s minimum insurance levels.

Proof of Insurance

Always be ready to show your proof of insurance when requested. That can be done by providing your policy number, or showing the certificate of insurance (FS-1) issued by your insurance company.


In case you don’t have proof of insurance you could face some stiff penalties. Know that your insurance company will alert the DMV about your situation, and a notice Form FS 5-7 will be sent to you. In case you have a time gap in your insurance, you must: *reaffirm your current coverage.

  • pay the fine listed by the DMV.
  • mail the completed form to the DMV within 10 days from the date of the letter.

If you don’t do that your plates will be suspended for 30 days. To get your plates back, you’ll need to wait the required amount of time. Then, you’ll have to pay at least a $50 fine, a $50 service fee, your license plate fee, and complete Form FS-1 indicating your current insurance coverage.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.