All residents in Vermont who own or ride a motorcycle must be able to take financial responsibility in the case of an accident. You must be able to prove you could cover the cost of any damages or injuries your motorcycle might cause in an accident. Liability insurance is maybe the easiest way to meet state requirements. However, it is not the only option.

Two-Wheeled Vehicles

In Vermont there is a difference between a motorcycle and moped, and that means a difference in what you’ll have to pay for insurance.

See below whether your ride is a motorcycle or a moped:

  • Motorcycle is a motor-driven vehicle that:
    • Has no more than three wheels.
    • Has a seat/saddle for the rider.
    • Is not a moped, golf cart, track-driven vehicle, tractor or a vehicle that contains its operator and passengers inside an enclosed cab.
  • Moped is a motor-driven cycle that has:
    • Two or three wheels.
    • A direct or automatic power-drive system (the operator should not have to clutch or shift after the drive system is engaged).
    • Foot pedals for propulsion.
    • A power source that has a max of two-brake horsepower and a max piston (or rotor) displacement of 50 cubic centimeters (cc) if a combustion engine is used. This can propel the cycle not more than 30 mph on a flat surface.

For more information on whether your ride must be registered and insured, contact the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) at (802) 828-2000 or the DMV’s Insurance Department at (802) 828-2050. Also, you can see the detail chart in Part I-12 of the state’s motorcycle manual.

Motorcycle Insurance Requirements

Here are the state’s liability insurance minimums for a motorcycle:

  • $10,000 for damages to property in any one accident.
  • $25,000 for injury/death to any one person.
  • $50,000 for injuries/deaths for two or more people.

Remember you can always consider purchasing more insurance coverage. It should not be hard to get a motorcycle policy that suits your needs. Check out the form at the top of the page. You can use to get insurance for your ride and save on motorcycle insurance for the future.

Helmet Requirements

Anyone who operates a motorcycle or rides as a passenger on Utah’s highways must wear a helmet. In other words riders and passengers must wear “head protective headgear reflectorized in part and of a type approved by the Commissioner.”

Note: This helmet must also be equipped with a neck strap or a chinstrap. The approved motorcycle protective headgear meets the standards set out by the Motorcycle, Scooter, and Allied Trades Association, the America Standards Association Inc., Z90.1, or the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, 218.

Do not forget to ask when you are helmet shopping whether the head protective headgear you wish to purchase is Commissioner-approved.

Financial Responsibility

As it was mentioned above, liability insurance bought through a licensed provider is what most riders choose to meet the minimum requirements in the state. However below are listed all the ways you can establish financial responsibility:

  • Buy a surety bond in the same amounts you see in the section above titled “Motorcycle Insurance Requirements.”
  • Buy a motorcycle liability policy.
  • Prove you are self-insured in the amount of $115,000. You must file this with the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.

Proof of Insurance

After you purchase insurance for your motorcycle, you will be issued proof of insurance or an insurance identification card by your insurance company. The company is also required to file proof immediately with the Commissioner.

That will be done either by using a certificate or any computer-generated means acceptable to the Commissioner. Make sure you check that your proof gets filed. Keep your motorcycle insurance identification card with you whenever you ride. You will have to show it:

  • During the registration process.
  • During any motorcycle inspections.
  • In the event of an accident.
  • In case you get pulled over by a law enforcement officer. (You have 15 days to provide the officer with proof if you don’t have it on you when you get stopped.)

These cards must include the following, as it is required by the state law:

  • Your name, as the insured.
  • The effective and expiration dates of coverage.
  • The name of your insurance company.
  • Your motorcycle’s description, including the identification number.
  • The limits of liability (or a statement that your policy covers the minimum liability insurance required by Vermont law).

To find out more on establishing financial responsibility and submitting proof using one of these, consult the official state site.


When registering your motorcycle, you must show proof of insurance. If your coverage happens to lapse after you have submitted proof to the state, you could face a civil traffic citation and:

  • A fine.
  • Points on your driving record (against your driving privileges or license).
  • The requirement to file financial responsibility insurance with the VT DMV.

If you get caught with no proof of insurance coverage, you could lose your license over:

  • Riding so recklessly that you kill another person.
  • Riding under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Being involved in or fleeing a collision.
  • Riding under a suspended license.

Financial Responsibility Insurance

This type of insurance covers you as an individual rather than your bike/vehicle. That means that you are covered when operating any vehicle regardless of whether you own it or not. If the state requires you to maintain financial responsibility insurance, you will have to provide proof to the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles, and to maintain coverage (and filing) for a minimum of three years.

If you allow the insurance to lapse your motorcycle license and riding privileges will be suspended. Also, you will not be able to reinstate your license until you have once again filed valid financial responsibility insurance with the Commissioner. When it comes to filing financial responsibility insurance, only certain documents are accepted. One of them is an SR-22 certificate. Get your SR-22 certificate from your insurance company.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.