Only by purchasing motorcycle insurance for your motorcycle you can prove that you’re financially responsible enough to be out on Oregon roads.

Two-Wheeled Vehicles

If your ride can go 30 mph, you will have to insure it. Now let’s see how the two-wheeled vehicles are defined in this state.

  • Mopeds are vehicles with two or three wheels, can be propelled by pedals, cannot go over 30 mph, and have an engine that is not more powerful than 50 ccs.
  • All other cycles with more powerful engines and no pedals, including motor scooters, are defined as motorcycles (like Vespas).

The following motor-propelled vehicles do not require registration and insurance:

  • Pocket bikes and mini-motorcycles.
  • Electric assisted bicycles. These are less powerful than 1,000 watts and can’t travel more than 20 MPH.
  • Electric personal mobility devices. These have two wheels, an electric motor, and transports one standing person (like Segways).
  • Motor-assisted scooters. These have two or three wheels, a limit of 24 mph, and an engine that is 35 ccs or less or is less than 1,000 watts (for electric).
  • Snowmobiles and tractors.

For more questions related to this subject, call the DMV office and ask: (503) 299-9999.

Motorcycle Insurance Requirements

Here are the minimum insurance requirements the state of Oregon requires you to obtain:

  • $10,000/crash: property damage to another party.
  • $15,000: Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance, covering accident-related costs.
  • $25,000/person: bodily and property damage.
  • $25,000/person and $50,000 per crash of Uninsured Motorist Coverage.
  • $50,000/crash: bodily injury to another party.

You may want to have higher amounts of coverage, especially if you have assets to protect. Be wise and use the form you see at the top of the page to get your motorcycle insurance and save money at the same time.

Helmet Requirements

All riders must wear helmets while operating their motorcycles, that is the rule in Oregon.

Financial Responsibility

You are required to buy insurance for your motorcycle or moped in this state.
Self-insuring can be an option only if you are a motorcycle dealer. Call the DMV office to ask for more detailed information.

Proof of Insurance

Make sure you always have one of the following while riding your motorcycle:

  • The actual insurance card, or a copy.
  • The actual insurance policy.
  • Official signed letter from the provider, stating that you are insured and what your policy number, license plate, and name is.

In case you are a dealer, you are required to provide either:

  • An Oregon auto dealer license plate.
  • A DMV Certificate of Self-Insurance.


You could be facing the following penalties if you dare to ride without proof of insurance:

  • License suspension.
  • The necessity of filing an SR-22 certificate proving your financial responsibility with the DMV for the next three years.
  • Fines and penalities.

Random Insurance Checks

The DMV also picks names randomly to check on whether you are keeping up with insurance. You might receive a letter asking you for your policy number and insurance company name. Then the DMV calls the insurance company and asks if you are insured. If you don’t respond to the letter, your license will be suspended (another reason to notify the DMV is any change of your address).

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.