The New York Department of Motor Vehicles is committed to keeping its drivers safe on the roads. Fortunately, New York has one of the lowest uninsured rates in the country. In fact, there is only a five percent chance of getting into an accident with an uninsured motorist. The reason is that vehicle insurance is designed to protect you, your property (vehicle), and the other person in the event of an unprecedented accident.
New York has some of the best roads for motorcycle riders, and if you recently purchased a motorcycle, you will want to follow suit and get motorcycle insurance. There are some similar rules to regular car insurance you will need to abide by. For instance, you must:
- Getmotorcycle insurance under your name if your name is on the motorcycle registration.
- Buy New York state insurance, and do not use out-of-state insurance.
Motorcycle Insurance Requirements in New York
Insurance for motorcycles has some different characteristics compared to regular car insurance. When driving the roadways on a motorcycle, the bike must be insured. When you do not plan on driving your motorcycle for an extended period of time, you may then cancel the policy.
Keep in mind; this is not an excuse to not renew your motorcycle registration. Motorcycle registration is good for one year in New York, and expires on April 30 of every year. The NY DMV is aware that driving a motorcycle in the winter months can be dangerous, and therefore motorbikes will be stored for several months without being used. For that reason, the DMV allow riders to hold on to their motorcycle license plates when stopping motorcycle insurance coverage for a period of time.
At any point the motorcycle is used on public roads and highways though, it must have motorcycle insurance. The minimum liability insurance requirements for motorcycle coverage in New York are:
- $10,000 for property damage for a single accident
- $25,000/$50,000 for bodily injury/death of a person involved in an accident
- $50,000/$100,000 for bodily injury/death of two or more people in an accident
How to Get Motorcycle Insurance
When it comes to getting motorcycle insurance in New York, choose a policy that will cover you and your property without fail. Good insurance is the difference between being protected in an accident at little personal expense and paying exorbitant fees. Follow these steps to find the best motorcycle insurance policy:
- Have all the information available about your motorcycle: make, model and year.
- Use a reliable motorcycle insurance website to find affordable quotes.
- Browse rates.
- For the best deal, get motorcycle insurance that meets liability requirements and includes:
- Roadside assistance
- Mechanical repairs
- 24/7 customer service
- Excellent customer reviews
- Browse accident insurance options.