Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
New York Drivers License Renewal
Your New York drivers license is valid for eight years. 50 days before the expiration date, the NY DMV will mail you a renewal notice detailing the process for drivers license renewal.If you have not received your renewal notice, contact the DMV for further information. As long as you meet the renewal requirements, you should have no issue applying for a renewed license.
Drivers can renew NYS driving licenses:
- Up to one year before its expiration.
- Up to two years after its expiration.
If it has been two or more years that your drivers license has been expired, you will be required to take a vision test, written exam, driving test, and a pre-license course before renewal. Furthermore, if you are an active member of the military, your license to drive can have its validity extended for a period after your service. However, after submitting your renewal request, you should receive your driving license within two weeks.
Information Related to Renewing Licenses
- Vision Standards
- Non-Citizen Renewals
- Online Renewals
- Mail Renewals
- In Person Renewals
- Renewal Fees
You have various options when it comes to renewing drivers license credentials in New York. Drivers can choose between three ways, so long as they meet eligibility requirements:
- By mail
- In person
In New York, you must meet certain vision test standards. The online method will notify the DMV as to whether or not your optometrist is within the DMV Online Vision Registry. If you renew your license in person or by mail, you will have to complete and submit a Vision Test Report form.
If your optometrist is not within the United States, he or she must still complete the Vision Test form meeting the following standards:
- In English.
- With results on the Snellen Visual Acuity Scale.
- Include a professional practicing license number.
If you want to be able to renew drivers licenses online, then you must be able to meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Your Social Security number must be on file at the DMV
- You cannot have a revoked or suspended drivers license
- You cannot have a different address than the one on file
- You cannot have a vision or hearing restriction that you would like to eliminate
- You cannot have residency outside of the U.S.
- You cannot have a driving license that is valid without a photo
If you meet the qualifications, then you will be able to create an online account at NY My DMV and complete the renewal process.
If you are interested in how to renew drivers license credentials by mail, there are a variety of documents and forms that you must fill out before you hand in your NY expired drivers license. The steps you must follow include:
- Providing proof of your vision test results
- Providing proof of ID
- Completing and sign your renewal notice
- Completing the Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card if you did not receive notice
- Enclosing payment of renewal fees
Any New York driver may renew driving license documentation in person at a nearby DMV location. DMV.com recommends making an appointment in advance so that you avoid the long lines and waits. Also, make sure to bring the necessary documents in order to renew license credentials:
- Completed renewal notice
- Completed Application for Driver License or Non-Driver ID Card if you did not receive notice
- Proof of ID, such as a passport or permanent resident card for non-U.S. citizens
- Proof of your vision exam results
If you are currently stationed outside of New York and are on active duty, you can always have your driving license extended for a period of time by filling out and mailing in a Notification of Military Service.
However, if the time for renewal has passed, you have to follow the renew expired drivers licenses process. Mail form Notification of Military Service and a letter to your commanding officer which confirms the following information:
- Active duty status
- Date you entered military service; to apply, the date must be before your NY driving license expired
Otherwise, civilian drivers who are currently out of state can renew drivers license credentials by mail or online.
The cost for renewing driving license documents in New York depends on the kind of drivers license in question. However, each of the following drivers licenses are valid for eight years:
- Class D, Class DJ, Non-CDL Class C with MCTD fee: $80.50
- Class D, Class DJ, Non-CDL Class C without MCTD fee: $64.50
- Class E with MCTD fee: $128.50
- Class E without MCTD fee: $112.50
- Class M, Class MJ with MCTD fee: $82.50
- Class M, Class MJ without MCTD fee: $72.50
The $16 difference is determined by whether or not one lives in a county that charges a supplemental $1 fee per six months of drivers license validity, which goes to the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District. Some of the counties that do charge a supplement fee include:
- Staten Island