WHEN TO RENEW YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE
- Your Utah driver's license is valid for five years and will generally expire on your birthday. If you are under 21 years of age, your license will expire on your 21st birthday.
- You can renew your license up to six months before expiration.
- There is no grace period in Utah. If your license expires, you have to take the written test and the road test again.
TO RENEW IN PERSON
You must bring:
- Your expiring license and Proof of Identity if the expiring license is not available
- If your name has changed, documentation of the name change is required.
- Renewal fee of $25 or $13 (if you are 65 or older), payable by cash or check (credit cards not accepted).
- A completed application.
You may need to take a vision test.
RENEWAL BY MAIL OR ONLINE
You are eligible to renew online or by mail only if you renewed in person the last time and if you have a good driving record (no suspensions, revocations and not more than four reportable traffic violations in the previous five years). If you are eligible it will be clearly noted on your renewal card.
TO RENEW ONLINE
To apply online you need:
- The renewal notice mailed by the Driver License Division.
- A valid credit card to make the payment.
TO RENEW BY MAIL
For drivers who qualify, renewal can be completed by mail.
Send the completed renewal by mail application which you will receive with the renewal notification, along with the fee of $20, or $11 if you are 65 or older to:
P.O. Box 144501 Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4501
Payment instructions will be provided with the notification.
Note: If you are renewing an âold style' license, a renewal sticker will be mailed to you, but if you are renewing a digital license, you will get a new license.