Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
In order to renew you driver license in South Dakota you must present the following documents
ONE IDENTITY DOCUMENT
An identity document to prove identity, date of birth and lawful status is considered to be one of the following:
- Certified U.S. birth certificate issued by state or county (hospital birth certificates are not acceptable)
- Valid unexpired U.S. passport
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
- Valid unexpired permanent resident card
- Valid unexpired employment authorization document
- Foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. Visa with I-94
ONE DOCUMENT TO PROVE SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBEROnly the documents listed below can serve as proof of Social Security number (the document must include your full social security number):
- Social Security card
- W-2 Form
- SSA 1099 Form
- Non-SSA 1099 Form
- Pay stub (must include name and social security number)
TWO DOCUMENTS TO PROVE YOUR RESIDENTIAL ADDRESSA parent's proof of address is acceptable for a minor child. Please bring two of the documents listed below (each must contain your name and current address):
- Utility bill
- Credit card statement
- Pay stub or earnings statement
- Rent receipt
- Phone bill
- Transcript or report card from an accredited school
- Bank statement
- Mortgage document
- Tax document
- Homeowners/renter's insurance policy
- Other items with your address can be reviewed by Driver Licensing personnel
- If you are unable to provide proof of residency, please call 1.800.952.3696 or 605.773.6883 for exceptions.
- Post Office Box addresses are acceptable in areas not assigned a street or 911 address
- Minors - If a minor does not have two documents proving residency, the parent may provide two forms for them.
- Living with someone else - An individual residing with another person may have the other person sign a "Consent for Use of South Dakota Address" form and present two residency documents belonging to the person with whom they reside.
- Living within an organization or at a facility - You may provide a letter from the organization or facility (on their letterhead) stating you reside there.
- Military and Military Dependents - Can use an out-of-state address on their license and provide two documents proving residency showing the out-of-state address
- People who travel full-time - If you are using a South Dakota mail forwarding address, you will need to complete the Residency Affidavit and provide one document proving your temporary South Dakota address (campground or RV park receipt). If you have friends or family in South Dakota and plan to use their address, you can complete and follow the instructions on the Consent for Use of Address form.