is a privately owned website.* Privacy

How to Renew a Driver's License in South Dakota

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

In order to renew you driver license in South Dakota you must present the following documents


An identity document to prove identity, date of birth and lawful status is considered to be one of the following:

  • Certified U.S. birth certificate issued by state or county (hospital birth certificates are not acceptable)
  • Valid unexpired U.S. passport
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Valid unexpired permanent resident card
  • Valid unexpired employment authorization document
  • Foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. Visa with I-94
South Dakota birth and marriage certificate information is available at and through your local County Register of Deeds' office. Marriage certificates before 1970 may not be available for same day issuance. For telephone numbers and addresses to write for out-of-state vital records, please visit


Only the documents listed below can serve as proof of Social Security number (the document must include your full social security number):
  • Social Security card
  • W-2 Form
  • SSA 1099 Form
  • Non-SSA 1099 Form
  • Pay stub (must include name and social security number)
For information on how to apply for a social security number or replacement card, click


A parent's proof of address is acceptable for a minor child. Please bring two of the documents listed below (each must contain your name and current address):
  • Utility bill
  • Credit card statement
  • Pay stub or earnings statement
  • Rent receipt
  • Phone bill
  • Transcript or report card from an accredited school
  • Bank statement
  • Mortgage document
  • Tax document
  • Homeowners/renter's insurance policy
  • Other items with your address can be reviewed by Driver Licensing personnel
  • If you are unable to provide proof of residency, please call 1.800.952.3696 or 605.773.6883 for exceptions.
  • Post Office Box addresses are acceptable in areas not assigned a street or 911 address


  • Minors - If a minor does not have two documents proving residency, the parent may provide two forms for them.
  • Living with someone else - An individual residing with another person may have the other person sign a "Consent for Use of South Dakota Address" form and present two residency documents belonging to the person with whom they reside.
  • Living within an organization or at a facility - You may provide a letter from the organization or facility (on their letterhead) stating you reside there.
  • Military and Military Dependents - Can use an out-of-state address on their license and provide two documents proving residency showing the out-of-state address
  • People who travel full-time - If you are using a South Dakota mail forwarding address, you will need to complete the Residency Affidavit and provide one document proving your temporary South Dakota address (campground or RV park receipt). If you have friends or family in South Dakota and plan to use their address, you can complete and follow the instructions on the Consent for Use of Address form.
If you have any questions, please call the Driver Licensing Program office at 1.800.952.3696 or 605.773.6883.
Submitted by johnsmithy on 25th Feb 2012 is a privately owned is a privately owned website that is not affiliated with any government agencies.

Submitted by Anonymous on 27th Apr 2011

Great job SD I'm active duty

Great job SD I'm active duty military and the link for "Driver License Application form" has an error. Hopefully not too much tax payer money was wasted on this site.

Submitted by Anonymous on 3rd Mar 2011

This site is way out of date

This site is way out of date and inaccurate. The fees are higher. The documentation requirements are greatly increased. Following the instructions on this site will result in being turned away at the Drivers Licensing Station after a long and fruitless wait in line!

Submitted by Jake's mom on 1st Nov 2011

I agree! I provided a

I agree! I provided a current drivers license and passport. I was also required to bring in a credit card statement, utility bill,and W-2 along with a paystub. It was all scanned and put into a data base-god knows where. I was opposing the SCANNING of my REQUIRED papers to bring. I was put on the phone with Pierre and she told me I could be arrested for not complying with a federal law!!! There is NO federal law for this. This was a gross invasion of my privacy! I have had a SD drivers license since I was 16, more than 30 years! Obviously illegals in Arizona have more rights than natural born citizens in SD! I brought the required papers-they DID NOT need to scan them! This exposes us all to identity theft! The SD Citizens for Liberty in Rapid City are fighting to stop this invasion-Good luck to them and thank you! I am at your service!

Submitted by Anonymous on 5th Feb 2011

I am a South Dakota RV

I am a South Dakota RV resident and full time RV traveler. I will not return to South Dakota until after July 4th, 2011. My drivers license is up for renewal on march 9th, 2011. Can I renew by mail if I supply from an eye doctor a notorized copy of my eye sight precription, fill out a renewal application and pay all required fees? Unfortunately I didn't realize I had to renew my Drivers License before I left South Dakota in September. Because I must drive our RV in order to return to South Dakota if you have any suggestions for renewal I would appreciate it.

Patricia Francisco.

3700 S. Westport Ave.

  1. 2831

Sioux Falls, SD 57106

605 321 4522


South Dakota Drivers License #01178974