How to Renew Your Drivers License in North Dakota
A North Dakota drivers license renewal application must be submitted online or in person. Allowances are granted to residents who are temporarily out of state. Not all applicants are eligible for a renewal and must meet the state’s requirements before submitting an application.
DMV license renewal fees are nonrefundable and must be paid in full. The new REAL ID compliant cards are available to eligible ND residents. However, specific identification documents must be presented to the DMV before a new license can be issued. Additional fees may apply.
Eligibility for Drivers License Renewal in North Dakota
Note: To find out your driver’s license expiration date, locate it on the front of your card.
Not all residents are eligible to submit a DMV license renewal application using the state’s online system.
Applicants cannot renew online if they are:
- Over the age of 65.
- Under the age of 21.
- Submitting a renewal for the first time after issuance.
- Renewing online for the second time in a row.
Furthermore, applicants are only eligible to renew drivers licenses online if their details are up-to-date with the ND DMV. Residents are eligible to renew online or in person if their license is currently valid or has been expired for less than one year.
NOTE: Residents are not allowed to operate a vehicle on an expired drivers license.
Instances When You Cannot Renew Drivers Licenses in North Dakota
Residents of North Dakota cannot submit a drivers license renewal application if they have held an expired license for more than one year. In which case, applicants are required to retake the state’s knowledge and road tests.
How early can you renew your drivers license in North Dakota?
Drivers license renewal applications may be submitted as far as 10 months prior to the expiration date. Renewing your license early will not affect the length of your new card.
North Dakota DMV License Renewal Options
Residents of North Dakota are invited to renew drivers licenses online or in person at a DMV location. Renewals online may not be available to all applicants. Drivers license office hours vary between locations.
How to Renew Your Drivers License Online
An online drivers license renewal application takes 10 business days to process. If you have a restriction listed on your license, you must provide information on your last vision screening. The screening must have taken place in the last six months to be considered valid. Complete the following steps to renew your drivers license online.
- Enter your personal information, such as your full legal name, date of birth and current address.
- Enter your drivers license number.
- Enter the last four digits of your Social Security Number.
- Enter the Issue date and expiration date of your current license.
- Attach the vision screening results form, if applicable.
- Follow the online prompts and pay the drivers license renewal fee. Refunds will not be issued.
Residents may call (701) 328-2601 if they have any questions or concerns about the online renewal system.
How to Renew My License in Person
Applications for a drivers license renewal may be submitted in person at any of the North Dakota DMV locations. Appointments may be made online to renew your license. If you book an appointment, the confirmation number must be brought with you. Visit your local drivers license office and complete the following steps to receive a new card:
- Present your current drivers license.
- Complete the vision screening test.
- Provide proof of address only if your address has changed.
- Have your photograph taken, if applicable.
- Pay the drivers license renewal fee.
Military & Out of State Renewal in North Dakota
Members of the military are not required to submit a drivers license renewal application if they are on active duty outside of the state. In which case, the license will remain valid for the duration of their service. However, applicants must renew an expired drivers license within 30 days of returning to North Dakota and being discharged from the military.
A military license extension is only granted to those who have possession of their cards. The extension becomes null and void if the license is suspended, revoked, cancelled or lost. Active members of the military stationed outside of ND may renew drivers license cards be mail. Call the NC DMV at (701) 328-4353 for more information. These allowances are also granted to the spouse of a service member. If you return to North Dakota after being discharged from the military and your license has been expired for more than one year, you must submit the following items to the DMV within 30 days of returning:
- Your current expired drivers license.
- You military ID card.
- Proof of your active duty, such as discharge orders, leave papers or PCS orders.
If you are not a member of the military and temporarily out-of-state, the ND DMV may issue a one-time renewal by mail. Call the DMV at 701-328-4353 for more information.
North Dakota REAL ID Drivers License Renewal
REAL ID cards may be purchased when submitting a DMV license renewal application in person. These cards are not mandatory for North Dakota residents. However, they will be the only form of license or ID card accepted on domestic flights after 2020. Follow the below steps to apply for a REAL ID license during your renewal application.
- Make an appointment at a driver license office, if desired.
- Present your current drivers license.
- Provide proof of residency in North Dakota. Eligible applicants must submit two forms of proof, such as a government issued tax form and a North Dakota vehicle registration card.
- Provide proof of identity, such as a valid United States passport or birth certificate.
- Provide proof of Social Security Number, such as a Social Security card or a W-2 tax form.
- Pay the drivers license renewal fee. The fee for a REAL ID card is the same as a standard license if paid for during your renewal period. If you purchase a REAL ID card outside of this period, a fee of $8 will be collected.
North Dakota Drivers License Renewal Fees
Drivers license renewal fees are non-refundable and must be paid in person or online.
See below for a breakdown of the state’s DMV licensing fees:
- Non-commercial Initial Permit or License $15
- Non-commercial Drivers License Renewal $15
- Name or Address Change Only $3
- Duplicate License, Permit or ID Card $8
- Written Test $5
- Road Test $5