How to Renew Your Drivers License in Indiana
You must complete an Indiana drivers license renewal before your license expires in order to avoid paying any late penalties and facing any consequences from law enforcement for driving with an expired drivers license. Your drivers license expires at midnight on your birthday, and you can renew it up to two years prior to the expiration through one of the two available renewal methods in Indiana.
Keep in mind that a BMV license renewal cannot be processed if your license has been stolen, lost or damaged. Instead, you must request a drivers license replacement. Also, it is important to understand that what you need to renew a drivers license will vary depending on whether you wish to receive a regular license or a REAL ID license. Understanding what the procedure is for the renewal and exactly what you need when you apply is very important so that you can be prepared and expect a smoother process. Continue reading to learn more.
Eligibility for Drivers License Renewal in Indiana
Note: You can locate the expiration date of your Indiana driving credential on the front of your driver’s license card.
You must meet the drivers license renewal requirements before you are able to renew your license. One of the most important requirements is that you must have a valid driver license that was officially issued by the state of Indiana. In addition, you must be able to pass a vision exam and provide any necessary documentation that is needed.
Instances When You Cannot Renew Your Drivers License in Indiana
If you are wondering, “When can I not renew my license?” the answer is that there are certain situations where you cannot complete a renewal in Indiana. As a few examples, you cannot renew your license if:
- It is more than two years before your license expiration date: You cannot renew your license if it is more than two years prior to the official expiration date on your license.
- It is more than three years after your license expiration date: At this point you must pass a knowledge exam, driving skills exam and vision screening to get a new license.
- Your license is not currently valid: A suspended or revoked license cannot be renewed.
- Your license has been lost, damaged or stolen: You must complete a driver license replacement instead of a renewal.
How Early Can You Renew Your Drivers License in Indiana?
Knowing the answer to, “How early can you renew your license?” is important so that you do not pay any additional penalty fees or have your application rejected if you apply at the wrong time. In Indiana, you can apply up to two years before your license expires, unless you have temporary lawful status. In that case you can only renew up to 30 days prior to the expiration date.
Indiana BMV License Renewal Options
Indiana residents who are wondering where to renew a drivers license have two options for renewal. The renewal may either be done in-person at a BMV drivers license office or online depending on the license type and other eligibility factors.
How to Renew Your Drivers License Online
If you are wondering, “Where can I renew my drivers license?” there are two methods for renewal that you can utilize, including renewing online. Renewing online can be a great option to help you to avoid potential lines at your local BMV branch.
However, it is important that you meet all of the conditions required for an online renewal. To renew your drivers license online you must:
- Be 21 years of age or older, but younger than 75 years of age.
- Be an Indiana resident and a United States citizen.
- Have a valid photo on file.
- Have a valid operators license.
- Have a license that expires within 24 months of your renewal date and has not been expired for more than 180 days.
- Have renewed your current license in-person last time. Licenses may only be renewed online at every other renewal.
- Have no changes to your name, residential address or other personal information.
- Not have the restrictions J, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 on your license.
- Not need to take an exam.
- Not have six or more active points on your driver record.
If you meet all of the requirements listed above, you may complete an online drivers license renewal in Indiana. To do so, you must follow these steps:
- Provide your name, date of birth, residential address and Social Security number.
- Pay the applicable fees.
How to Renew Your Drivers License in Person
If you are not eligible to renew a drivers license online, or if you prefer, you can renew in-person instead. To renew at a BMV location, you must:
- Visit your local BMV office.
- Provide your expiring driver license.
- Provide necessary proof of identity, residency and Social Security documentation if you are applying for a REAL ID license.
- Pass a vision exam.
- Take the knowledge examination if you have six or more points on your record.
- Pay the applicable fees.
Once you have visited the BMV office and followed the correct procedure, you will obtain a new drivers license with a new expiration date. This license validity periods are as follows:
- Six years if you are 74 years of age or younger
- Three years if you are 75 – 84 years of age
- Two years if you are 85 years of age or older
It is important to note that, if you are a foreign national with temporary U.S. status, your license will expire on the end date of your lawful status in the U.S.
Military & Out of State Renewal in Indiana
If you are temporarily residing outside of Indiana because you are serving in the military, you do not need to worry about renewing your drivers license if it expires when you are away because your license will be valid for 90 days following your discharge from military service. However, if you are eligible to renew via the online method, you can complete an online renewal while you are outside of Indiana if you wish. To obtain a renewed license after you have been discharged from the military, you must visit a BMV office and show proof of discharge.
If you are temporarily living outside of Indiana and are wondering where to renew your Indiana drivers license, you may renew your license online as long as you meet the requirements to do so. If you are not eligible to renew online, you may request a 30-day extension from the date that your license expires. To obtain this extension, you must download and complete a Request for Interim/Extension License, State Form 54580. After you have completed the drivers license renewal form for an extension you may mail it to the address listed on the form.
Indiana REAL ID Drivers License Renewal
Indiana participates in the REAL ID licensing program, so when you renew a drivers license, you may choose to apply for a REAL ID federally compliant license. This license meets federal government requirements and will be required for you to board domestic flights and enter certain federal facilities beginning October 1, 2020.
Knowing how to renew a drivers license if you want to get a REAL ID includes that you must provide certain documentation at a BMV branch. This includes proof of identity, proof of lawful status, proof of Social Security number and two proofs of Indiana residence.
Indiana Drivers License Renewal Fees
Before you renew, you need to understand how much to renew a drivers license so that you are aware of what you may need to pay beforehand. The driving license renewal fees are as follows:
- Operator’s license if you are over 85 years of age: $7.00
- Operator’s license if you are 75 to 84 years of age: $11.00
- Operator’s license if you are younger than 75 years of age: $17.50
- Penalty fee for renewing after expiration date: $6.00