Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
Instructions for replacing your lost, stolen or mutilated Indiana driver's license or identification card
If your Indiana driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV).
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Indiana driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Indiana BMV license office BMV license branch office. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Indiana requires that you present one piece of primary ID and one piece of secondary ID when applying for a duplicate driver's license or identification card. You must also provide proof of your Social Security number or proof of ineligibility of the same.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $10 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Please contact your local BMV office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Indiana residents who are temporarily out of state:
Indiana residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a verification letter which will have a validity period of 90 days.
- Download and complete the application form from the Bureau of Motor Vehicles website.
- Obtain a check or money order in the correct amount, made payable to: Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Please contact the BMV at (317) 233 6000 to confirm the correct fee, as fees may vary.
- Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles Photo-Exempt Request 531 Virginia Avenue Indianapolis, IN 46203
- The request will be processed in about 7 business days. On returning to Indiana you can apply for a replacement license following the steps given earlier.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next one year, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.