Instructions for replacing your lost, stolen or mutilated Washington driver's license or identification card
If your Washington driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Department of Licensing (DOL) driver licensing office.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Washington driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Washington DOL driver licensing office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Washington requires that you present one piece of ID from the primary documents list, or two pieces of ID from the supporting documents list. Alternatively you can present one piece of ID from the supporting documents list and two pieces of ID from the alternate documents list, or five pieces of ID from the alternate documents list.
Persons under the age of 18 must be accompanied by their parents or guardians, who must present all the required documents and must be residents of the state.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $15 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Payment may be made by cash or check. Please contact your local DOL driver licensing office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Washington residents who are temporarily out of state:
Washington residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a no-photo duplicate license or identification card through the mail, if they will remain outside Washington for more than 30 days. Such persons may include military personnel or students who are either out of the state or country, among others.
- Download and complete the Driver Licensing Replacement/Renewal Request form from the DOL website.
- Obtain a check or money order in the correct amount, made payable to: Department of Licensing.
- Mail the completed form, along with your payment to:
Driver records-Record updates Department of Licensing P.O Box 9048 Olympia, WA 98507-9048
- If your license or identification will expire within the next 90 days, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- The online license replacement service is under construction and cannot be accessed currently.