Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
If your Minnesota driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Division of Vehicle Services (DVS) driver license office.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Minnesota driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Minnesota DVS driver license office here. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Minnesota requires that you present one piece of primary ID and one piece of secondary ID when applying for a duplicate driver's license or identification card.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is an $11.75 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. Please contact your local driver license office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Minnesota residents who are temporarily out of state:
Minnesota residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card by calling the driver's license helpline at (651) 297-3298. A package with the necessary documents will be mailed to the current location.
Depending on the time of the year you apply, it might take up to six weeks for the duplicate license or identification card to reach you.
- If you are relatively close to the expiration date, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a duplicate.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.