If your license has been recently lost or stolen, you will need to replace it as soon as possible. Without a valid license, you will not be able to drive legally in your state or present a valid form of identification when necessary. The two most common methods of replacing your lost or stolen license are visiting your local licensing location in person or applying for a replacement online. Under certain circumstances, you may also be able to replace your license or ID by mail. However, the fastest and most efficient way to replace your driving credential is online. To learn how to replace your license online, you can refer to our helpful drivers license guide. In addition to helping you through the replacement process, our guide will also teach you how to renew and change the name or address on your license.

2. By Mail

Most states offer a mail-in application option to residents who have lost their license while out of the state. In most cases, military service members stationed outside of the state will also be able to apply for a replacement by mail. To apply, you will need to mail in a primary and secondary proof of identification, such as a birth certificate, valid U.S. passport, Social Security card or W-2 form. You will also need to send proof of a residential address such as a deed, voter registration card or utility bill. Depending on your state, you will be required to provide any combination of the aforementioned documents, in addition to other documents and information. You will also need to keep in mind that it may take several weeks to obtain your replacement license, as mail can often be delayed or unreliable.

3. In Person at a DMV Office

Finally, you can replace your lost or stolen license at your local DMV or licensing office. You will be required to bring all the documents previously mentioned as proof of identification and residency. If you are uncomfortable mailing these important documents to the DMV, then an in-person visit is more secure. However, you may need to reschedule an appointment if you forget your passport, citizenship certificate, car title or any other documents that you are using as proof of identification or residency. Additionally, if you make any mistakes on your form, you will not be able to receive your replacement license or ID the same day you apply for it at the DMV.

A lost drivers license can be a burden on motorists in Montana. Needing to order a replacement drivers license because your wallet has been lost or stolen is a stressful event for anyone. Fortunately, The Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) of the Montana Department of Justice (DOJ) makes it easy to obtain a copy in person through their network of driver license exam stations. The process will require drivers to submit certain information and/or documents. Likewise, there is a fee for a duplicate of an original Montana drivers license.

At this time, it is not possible to get a drivers license copy online in MT, although other MVD-related tasks can be performed through the MVD portal. Find out what methods of drivers license replacement are available in MT and to whom, by reviewing the sections below.

When is a replacement drivers license required in Montana?

You must get a duplicate drivers license in MT any time you lose or damage your card because Montana driving law prohibits operating a vehicle without one. If you are replacing drivers license credentials that were not actually lost but stolen, then the MT MVD recommends reporting the crime to your local police department even though doing so is not required by law. If your card were to end up in the wrong hands, then having a copy of a police report can help protect you from the consequences of any fraudulent use of your license.

In addition to reasons of loss or theft, you should replace drivers license cards that have been damaged enough to render any part of the document unreadable. If your copy of drivers license credentials is faded, worn, broken or otherwise mutilated, then it no longer serves its purpose of providing a quick source of photo ID. It is also important that your drivers license always displays accurate, updated information.

You should update documentation if you drastically change your appearance, such as by undergoing gender reassignment. Additionally, you should learn how to replace drivers license credentials if you undergo a legal name change or make a permanent move and need to change the name on your license or correct the address on the record.

How to Replace Your Drivers License by Mail in Montana

You can replace lost drivers license credentials by mail in MT. To do so, you will need to complete the mail-in application and follow the corresponding instructions. Although Montana does offer DMV duplicate license replacement services by mail, it is limited to those who are temporarily residing out of the state when their license was lost, stolen or destroyed. See the “Out-of-State Drivers License Replacement in Montana” section below to learn more.

How to Replace Your Montana Drivers License in Person

Montana drivers wondering, “Where can I get a copy of my drivers license?” need only to look as far as their nearest MT MVD driver license exam station. You must get copy of drivers license cards at these branch offices unless you are temporarily living out-of-state. Once you choose an office, call ahead or make an online appointment to ensure that you visit during that office’s normal business hours. Remotely located MT MVD driver license offices are only open for specific MVD services on certain days of the month.

Proof of identity is required to obtain a replacement. While there are dozens of identification documents accepted for duplicate drivers license issuance purposes, all fall into the two categories of primary and secondary. When you request a DMV duplicate license, the MVD requires you to show either one primary and one secondary document or two primary documents. Primary documents include the following:

  • A color photo driver’s license or ID card issued in the U.S. or Canada that not expired more than four years
  • A certified birth certificate issued in the U.S. or Canada
  • A valid, unexpired U.S. passport
  • An unexpired military ID card

Secondary documents include the following:

  • An original Social Security card or a Canadian social insurance card
  • A certified marriage license
  • A Medicare, Medicaid or health insurance card bearing the applicant’s name and insurance policy number

After the clerk processes your duplicate drivers license application, you must pay the replacement fee. If your lost drivers license vanished within six months of its expiration date, then you may apply for an early drivers license renewal instead of a replacement.

Out-of-State Drivers License Replacement in Montana

Licensed MT drivers who are temporarily living out-of-state and need a duplicate drivers license may use an application to replace a missing or damaged driving license credential by mail. This out-of-state replacement drivers license form may be downloaded, printed and submitted to obtain a license from a distance. Follow all instructions on the form, including signing it, providing a photocopy of your drivers license if possible and photocopies of your primary and secondary documents from the lists above. Include a check or money order made payable to MVD and send your packet to the office in Helena.

Note: It can take two to four weeks to receive your new copy of drivers license card in the mail.

Montana Drivers License Replacement Fees

To obtain a replacement drivers license in MT, a $10.30 fee must be paid in full at the time of application. This fee may vary depending on several factors. For instance, drivers who need to renew their credentials or who have a commercial drivers license will have more expensive costs than motorists who need a simple duplicate card.

Last updated on Wednesday, December 5 2018.

Have a Question? Get Quick Online Answers!