Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
If your Montana driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) Driver Exam Station.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Montana driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Montana MVD driver exam station nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Montana requires that you present two pieces of primary ID, or one piece of primary ID and one piece of secondary ID when applying for a duplicate driver's license or identification card.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $10 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. You can pay by cash or check. Credit cards are not accepted. Please contact your local MVD driver exam station to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for Montana residents who are temporarily out of state:
Montana residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person can call (406)-444-4590 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for the correct paperwork. Military personnel may refer to the section on Military Personnel on the MVD website.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next six months, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a duplicate.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.