In order to get a replacement Washington DC drivers license, you need to complete a number of important steps when applying. In order to simplify the process, you will need to gather the necessary documents, calculate your required fee payment before being able to obtain a replacement Washington DC drivers license. Online assistance can help you complete all of these steps quickly and easily by providing you with all of the information you need to know about replacing your license. Start simplifying your application process today.
2. By Mail
Rather than get ahead with online assistance and services, some Washington DC residents prefer to handle their DMV transactions via mail. Drivers can complete a few different procedures by mail, but payment methods are restricted, and the transactions have inconvenient and lengthy turnaround times for results.
3. Via a DMV Office
Certain transactions must be completed in person at a Washington DC DMV office. However, before visiting a local branch, be sure to verify that the location offers the service you require. Not all DMV procedures can be completed at every location. Additionally, note that wait times are typically lengthy. So make sure to take advantage of online assistance to prepare for your visit.
Instructions for replacing your lost, stolen or mutilated Washington DC driver's license or identification card.
If your Washington DC driver's license or identification card has been lost or stolen, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office.
Instructions for replacing a lost or stolen Washington DC driver's license or Identification Card:
You can apply for a duplicate license or identification card online on the DMV website, if it is not due to expire in less than ten days. You will need to provide your driver license or identification card number, name, date of birth and Social Security number, and pay the $7 fee with a major credit card, other than American Express. The duplicate will be mailed to the address in the record.
To apply in person, follow the instructions below:
- Locate the Washington DC DMV office service location. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Download, complete and bring the Driver's License and ID Card Application.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Washington DC requires that you present proof of identity, Social Security number and residence (if it has changed).
- Bring the correct fee. There is a $7 fee for replacing a lost or stolen license. Cash, checks or credit cards (American Express is not accepted) are the only forms of payment accepted. Please contact your local DMV office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
Instructions for replacing a lost or stolen Washington DC driver's license or Identification Card Online:
Washington DC residents who are temporarily out of state and unable to apply in person may apply for a duplicate license or identification card online, provided their name remains the same and there are 10 or more days until their license expires.
The duplicate license or identification card will be processed and mailed in approximately 10 business days. But it will be mailed only to the address in the DMV records.
- If your license or identification will expire soon, you can renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.