The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety offers OK replacement driver’s license for drivers living both in and out-of-state. Driving replacement services are limited to an in-person application. However, the department will allow some drivers to get a driver’s license copy online or by mail if the individual is unable to appear in person at a driver’s license office. Keep reading to find out how to replace driver’s license documentation in Oklahoma.

When is a replacement drivers license required in Oklahoma?

The majority of applicants seeking an OK replacement driver’s license do so after a license is lost, stolen or damaged. Law enforcement will rarely excuse drivers with missing identification, so it is important to replace lost driver’s license in Oklahoma immediately to avoid a citation. Additionally, a driver’s license is often one of the most reliable forms of identification. You must provide this document when completing a variety of applications and failure to present accurate information could result in a negative outcome.

You may also need to replace driver’s license documentation when the personal information on your driver’s license is no longer relevant. Such updates include a name change, a gender reassignment or an address change. For each of these instances, different documentation is required and explained below.

How to Replace Your Drivers License in Person in Oklahoma

Regardless of the reason, you are requesting an Oklahoma copy of driver’s license, there is only one way to obtain a duplicate driver’s license: in person. The exceptions to this policy are detailed in the following two sections. Some conditions and requirements apply to every instance.

Firstly, only valid, unexpired driver’s licenses in good standing are eligible for a replacement. Secondly, regardless of the reason you decide to get copy of driver’s license documentation, all applicants must provide primary and secondary identification. The driver’s license office can provide you with an extensive list, but some of the most commonly used ID documents include:

  • Certified birth certificate or birth records
  • U.S. passport
  • Social Security card
  • Health insurance card
  • Military or student ID cards

Below is a summation of some of the various reasons for a DMV duplicate license in Oklahoma and a few of the supporting documents that might be needed. If you have experienced:

  • A stolen, mutilated or lost driver’s license: You will only need to provide the primary/secondary identification mentioned above.
  • A name change: You will need to provide primary/secondary identification and proof of your new name via a marriage license, divorce, adoption decree or court-ordered name change.
  • Endorsement or restriction modification: You must complete a designated form.
  • A gender reassignment: Requires a court-ordered name change and a notarized physician’s statement on the letterhead.
  • A driver’s license number change: Requires a written request to change the 9-digit Oklahoma driver’s license number.

Some services may require additional steps before visiting the DMV. When making changes to your driver’s license, you are required to verify these changes. In addition, you may need to pay additional fees associated with the particular replacement you will require. You may also need to consult other government offices or provide legal documentation as proof of your need to make these updates.

You need to understand how to renew your driver’s license, if this credential will expire soon. If this is the case for you, you should complete the two processes together to reduce the likelihood of preventing or slowing down the approval of your replacement or renewal documents.

How to Replace Your Drivers License Online or by Mail in Oklahoma

In most cases, an Oklahoma lost driver’s license can only be replaced in person. However, there are two exceptions to this policy. One concession to this Oklahoma replacement driver’s license policy is granted on a case-by-case basis to drivers who are physically incapable of visiting a DPS office in person.

The special request must be submitted by mail or online with appropriate documentation and lost driver’s license replacement fees included. The department will either return payment (in the event of a denial) or mail a replacement document (if approved).

If you want to know where to complete these services, visit an Oklahoma Department of Public Safety office location that offers these services, taking the appropriate documents listed above with you when you go.

Out-of-State Drivers License Replacement in Oklahoma

If you are temporarily residing outside of Oklahoma and need to know how to get a duplicate credential when out of state, you can apply by mail.

Submit the appropriate lost driver’s license documentation and forms, payment in the form of a cashier’s check or money order, and a self-addressed stamped envelope printed with the address you want to receive your OK duplicate driver’s license.

Oklahoma Drivers License Replacement Fees

The fee to replace driver’s license in Oklahoma must be paid regardless of the reason for replacement. If mailing payment for this purpose, personal checks are not accepted. Payment must be in the form of a money order or cashier’s check.

Payment will be refunded in the event your application is denied. Additionally, if you submit an application requesting a driver’s license copy online, you must have a valid credit card to process the transaction.

Last updated on Tuesday, March 3 2020.