To simplify the process of getting a replacement Florida drivers license, you are able to complete the entire process online. By easily going through the process to replace your drivers license online, you will save yourself hours at the DMV. As such, getting a replacement drivers license online is most convenient option. Simply fill out the digital application to submit your driver license replacement request, this is the same information you would need to apply in person, the only difference is, it is done from the comfort of your home. Replace your drivers license online today!
2. By Mail
Rather than get ahead with online assistance and services, some Florida residents prefer to handle their DMV transactions via mail. Drivers can complete a few different procedures by mail, but payment methods are restricted, and the transactions have inconvenient and lengthy turnaround times for results.
3. Via a DMV Office
Certain transactions must be completed in person at a Florida DMV office. However, before visiting a local branch, be sure to verify that the location offers the service you require. Not all DMV procedures can be completed at every location. Additionally, note that wait times are typically lengthy. So make sure to take advantage of online assistance to prepare for your visit.
If your Florida driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FHSMV) driver license office or online.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Florida driver's license or identification card:
You can apply for a duplicate driver's license online at this website if you are a US citizen.
To apply in person at a driver license office, follow the instructions below:
- Locate the Florida FHSMV driver license office nearest you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proof of legal presence. The state of Florida requires that you present one piece of primary ID and one piece of secondary ID.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $25 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license. If applying online using a credit card, there may be a nominal additional service charge. Please contact your local FHSMV driver license office to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
If your license has been stolen and you have filed a police report, the fee for obtaining a duplicate will be waived. Bring a copy of the police report when applying for a duplicate license.
Instructions for Florida residents who are temporarily out of state:
Florida residents who are temporarily out of state whose license has been stolen, damaged or lost may obtain a 90-day permit free of cost. This can be done in three ways:
- By calling (850) 617 2000.
- By emailing the Division of Driver Licenses through an online form.
- By writing to the FHSMV with details about your name, date of birth, social security number, driver license number and out of state mailing address. The mailing address is:
Bureau of Records
2900 Apalachee Parkway, MS 92
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0575
After returning to Florida, a replacement license can be obtained following the instructions mentioned earlier.
- If your license or identification will expire within the next 45 days, you can apply to renew your license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.