If your Illinois driver's license or identification card has been lost, stolen, or mutilated, you can apply for a replacement or duplicate license at your local Secretary of State Driver Services Department (DSD) facility.
Instructions for replacing a lost, stolen or mutilated Illinois driver's license or identification card:
- Locate the Illinois Driver Service Facility nearest to you. Be sure to note the days and hours of operation.
- Bring proper identification. The state of Illinois requires that you present one piece of ID for signature proof and at least one piece of ID for birth date proof or social security number proof or address proof when applying for a duplicate driver's license or identification card.
- Bring the correct fee. Normally, there is a $5 fee for replacing a lost, stolen, or mutilated license, and a $20 fee for replacing an ID card. The fee is $10 for replacing the ID card of an applicant below 18 years of age. Please contact your local DSD facility to confirm the fee before applying in person, since fees may vary.
If your license has been stolen and you have filed a police report, the fee for obtaining a duplicate will be waived if you are over 60 years of age and you produce a copy of the police report. There is also no fee for replacing an ID card for a person with disabilities or over 65 years of age.
Instructions for Illinois residents who are temporarily out of state:
Illinois residents who are temporarily out of state for less than 90 days can call the Special License and Re-Examination Unit at (217) 782 6901 and request a 90-day temporary driver's license to be sent to their non-Illinois address.
Illinois residents who will be out of state for more than 90 days can call (217) 782 6901 and request that they be sent the application forms for a duplicate driver's license without a photo. This request for the duplicate driver's license packet
can also be made through a driver's license form at the Secretary of State website. The forms need to be completed and mailed back with the fee of $5 to receive the duplicate license.
- If your license or identification will expire in the next one year (for a 2-year or 4-year license) or in the next six months (for a 1-year license), you can renew the license or identification card instead of applying for a replacement.
- You cannot apply for a replacement driver's license or identification online.