The Illinois Vehicle Services Department (VSD) notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either by telephone, through the mail, online, or in person.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY TELEPHONE
You can use a touchtone phone to renew your registration. You will need a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) to pay for the renewal transaction. The procedure takes less than 5 minutes.
- Have your credit card, Renewal Code and your Personal Identification Number handy before the call.
- Call the toll free number 1-866-545-9609.
- Follow the instructions of the automated attendant to complete the registration renewal.
- You will be charged $1.75 for this service.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
To renew your registration online, complete the appropriate form here
- Have your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express or Diners card) handy to pay for the renewal. Also, prepare your registration ID and PIN from your renewal notice, your insurance agency, policy number, and expiration date.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the VSD office in your area, or a currency exchange or participating bank.
- Bring the registration renewal notice, along with cash, check, travelers' check or Discover credit card to pay for the renewal. You will be charged $2 if you use a Discover credit card.
Registration for different categories of vehicles in Illinois will have different fees ranging from $18 to $114 as seen here
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can still use the automated, toll-free number 1-866-545-9609 to renew, or use the online services to correct your address before renewing.
- For any other error, dial the toll-free number 1-866-545-9609 and explain the error to the VSD customer service agent