The Tennessee Department of Revenue notifies vehicle owners about six weeks in advance of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date by mail, online or in person.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
- Send the completed registration renewal form or your tag receipt and your current address and a local check payable to Hamilton County Clerk at:
Bill Knowles County Clerk PO Box 24868 Chattanooga, TN, 37422-4868
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- Online registration renewal is available only for some Tennessee counties. Check this website to see if your county offers online renewals.
- Have your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover) handy to pay for the renewal along with the emissions certificate (if required).
- You would also require your current tag receipt, or state renewal notice or tag and title number.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the County Clerk's office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal form or the last tag receipt or tag number, along with cash, check or credit to pay for the renewal.
A registration fee of $24 is charged in Tennessee.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can contact your County Clerk's office.