The Missouri Department of Revenue - Motor vehicle and Driver License notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date through the mail, using the MVDL's online service, or in person.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
- Send the completed registration renewal form and the appropriate payment to:
Motor Vehicle Bureau 301 West High Street - Room 370 Jefferson City, MO 65101
- A Missouri emission and/or Lien Release (DOR-4809) certificate may be needed. (This will be indicated on the renewal notice).
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- Go to the Missouri Department of Revenue - Motor vehicle and Driver License Online Services website.
- Have your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) or debit card (MasterCard or VISA) handy to pay for the renewal. You can also request an electronic withdrawal from your checking account.
- An additional convenience fee will be added to your credit card transaction fees for online renewals.
You cannot renew your registration online if:
- Your registration is expired.
- You do not have a Personal Identification Number (PIN) printed on your renewal card.
- Your personal property tax records are not submitted to the Department of Revenue. (Contact your country collector's office for more details).
- You have a Disabled Plate and your renewal notice asks for a physician's statement.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the DMV office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal form, along with cash, check, credit or debit card to pay for the renewal.
- A Missouri emission and/or Lien Release (DOR-4809) certificate may be needed. (Indicated on the renewal notice).
Registration for different categories of vehicles in Missouri will have different fees that range from $18 to $100 as seen here.
There is a $5 penalty if you renew after expiration date.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address you may call DOR at (573) 751-4509, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also mail the Change of address form to the address listed on the form to correct your address before renewing.
- For any other error, dial the toll-free number (573) 751-4509 and explain the error to the DMV customer service agent