All US citizens should submit passport applications for a US passport at their earliest opportunity. This is because a passport is an important document that enables you to travel internationally.

Additionally, it can serve as a form of ID or proof of citizenship when necessary. Finally, a US passport grants you access to more than 170 countries around the world.

Because it is a vital legal document, you should apply for one at the earliest opportunity. Additionally, you should familiarize yourself with the process of renewing and updating your passport. The sections below describe how to obtain a passport, where to get one, and how to make changes to your passport as needed.

Where to Get a Passport in Missouri

You should submit your passport application to the nearest passport acceptance facility. The US Department of State (DOS) website maintains a list of all passport acceptance facilities.

Facilities are typically found in United States Postal Offices, but any government building can be a passport acceptance facility. There are 193 US passport acceptance locations throughout the state of Missouri.

You can also skip the passport acceptance facility and apply directly to a passport agency. The nearest passport agency to Missouri is the Arkansas Passport Agency, located in Hot Springs, Arkansas.

Applying directly to a passport agency can shorten your expected wait time. However, you must make an appointment to submit your application to the agency. Additionally, not everyone is eligible to submit a passport application directly to an agency.

Missouri Passport Books vs. Cards

When filling out a passport application, you may notice a question about what kind of passport you want – book or card. What is a passport book, what is a passport card and why are there two? They serve distinct purposes and you should research the options before selecting, although you can also order one of each if you wish.

A US passport book is the standard booklet associated with passports. It has a blue cover, and the first page has identifying information. The rest of the book includes blank pages for visa stamps.

This book is more expensive, but grants you access to all 176 countries in the world that accept a US passport. A passport card costs less than a passport book but has more restrictions on it.

Considered the unofficial ID card of the United States, the passport card contains vital information about you. You can use it to board domestic flights, or travel by land or sea to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. You cannot use it for international air travel.

How to Get a Passport in Missouri

If you have never held a passport or do not meet the qualifications to renew, you should apply for a new passport. This requires an in-person visit to a passport acceptance facility.

You cannot submit your new passport application by mail. If you are getting a new passport, you must provide the following documents:

  • Application for a US Passport
  • Evidence of US citizenship
  • Photocopy of citizenship evidence
  • Valid photo ID
  • Photocopy of ID

A complete list of acceptable evidence is available on the DOS website. In addition, you must pay the US passport fees – an execution fee and an application fee, paid separately. If you are applying on behalf of a child, you must provide additional documentation.

For a child under 16 years of age, you must provide evidence of parental relationship. For a child between 16 and 17 years of age, only parental awareness is needed. This can be determined with a signed statement or the parent’s presence during the passport application process.

Note: You will receive your new passport in the mail in four to six weeks.

U.S. Passport Renewals in Missouri

If your passport is close to its expiration date or expired, you should renew it immediately. Many countries will not accept passports within six months of the expiration date. You can easily renew your US passport through the mail if you meet all the eligibility requirements:

  • You have your last passport.
  • It is mostly undamaged.
  • You were older than 16 years of age when it was issued.
  • It was issued in the last 15 years.
  • It is in your current name, or you can prove a change of name.

If you meet all the eligibility requirements, you get to skip the passport acceptance facility wait. Your passport application for renewal will include a US Passport Renewal form, your old passport and a new passport photo. Additionally, include name change documents if relevant.

Note that is costs less to renew your passport than applying for a new one. You only have to pay the application fee. Address a check for the fee to the US Department of State and include your name and date of birth.

Mail the complete application to the address listed on the form. You will receive your new US passport in four to six weeks.

How to Replace a Lost Passport in Missouri

If your passport is lost or stolen, you should report it to the DOS immediately using the lost passport form. The DOS will automatically cancel any lost passport so that it no longer works with biometric scanners. This is necessary because passports contain vital information that can be used to commit identity theft.

You do not have to replace a passport to report it missing. However, to replace a lost passport, you must file a statement regarding a lost or stolen passport.

You can submit the form online. However, if you are applying for a new passport, print it out and include it in your application instead.

Complete the regular process for a new passport, and include the statement regarding a lost or stolen passport in your application. When you bring it to a passport acceptance facility, make sure to pay regular US passport fees, including the application and execution fee. You will receive your replacement in the mail in four to six weeks.

If your passport is damaged, you should also return it to the DOS and apply for a new one. Do not throw it away in the garbage. Instead, submit a passport application to a passport acceptance facility.

When you submit your documents, include a signed statement regarding your damaged passport. Explain how it was damaged and why you want to replace it. Pay regular passport fees, and wait for your replacement passport in the mail.

How to Complete a Passport Update in Missouri

At times, your passport information may become outdated. In that case, it is necessary to request a passport update. For example, if you marry or divorce and change your name, you should update your passport to reflect your change of name.

Additionally, passport errors can occur in the process of printing a passport. You should correct errors when you notice them.

  • Change your name – If your name changed within a year of receiving your passport, you can submit a form to request a passport update. Provide legal documents proving your change of name, your last passport and a new passport photo. No fees are required. However, if your passport was issued more than a year ago, you must complete the passport renewal process instead. Include change of name documents, and all applicable US passport fees.
  • Correct an error – If there is an error or misprint on your passport, submit the passport corrections form. Include evidence of the error in your application, along with new passport photos. You do not have to pay fees to correct errors on your US passport.
  • Change your gender marker – To perform a gender marker change on your passport, you must enlist the assistance of your doctor. Apply for a limited-validity passport during your transition period. You will need a doctor or medical provider to assert you are transitioning. When you are done with the transition process, you can apply for a new passport with your correct gender marker. For more information on the process of requesting a gender marker change, review the DOS website.

Missouri Expedited Passport Service

If you need your US passport expedited, you can shorten the processing time for an additional expedite fee. If you expedite your passport application, you will receive your passport in three to four weeks instead of four to six weeks. You can expedite your passport for any application, including a renewal application.

However, if you have travel plans in less than three weeks and need your passport before then, you can expedite it faster. You can make an appointment with the passport agency in Arkansas to expedite your application.

Call the passport agency to explain your travel plans. Set an appointment, and gather all necessary documents for your passport application. Include US passport fees.

You will not have to pay an execution fee, but you will have to pay an expedite fee. You will receive your passport in less than two weeks.

Finally, in a life-or-death emergency you can receive a US passport in under 72 hours. The DOS defines life-or-death emergencies as situations when a family member is gravely injured, ill or dead.

In this case, call the DOS and explain your urgent need. Prepare all documents for your passport application, including fees and evidence of emergency. Bring them to the passport agency in Arkansas, and wait until your passport application has been processed. You will receive your US passport as quickly as possible.


Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.