Have you submitted your passport application yet? Holding a US passport opens up a world of possibilities for you. With a valid passport, you can enter more than 170 countries around the world.

Every US citizen is eligible to hold a passport, including newborns and infants. Nevertheless, recent studies indicate that more than half of Americans still do not have a valid US passport. Make yourself part of the 40 percent who do.

Along with allowing you to travel internationally, a US passport serves as a valuable form of ID. You can use it to board domestic flights or prove your status as a US citizen.

The sections below describe how and where to get a passport, and what options are available. They also describe how to replace, update, renew and expedite your passport.

Where to Get a Passport in Nebraska

If you plan on getting a new passport, you must submit your passport application in person at a passport acceptance facility. Passport acceptance facilities are facilities approved to receive and submit passport applications.

Facilities are typically based out of United States Postal Offices, however, any government building can be an acceptance facility. There are 95 US passport facility locations throughout the state of Nebraska. The majority of facilities in Nebraska are located in district courts.

If you need your passport expedited, you may be eligible to apply directly to a regional passport agency. Regional agencies can handle urgent applications.

However, you must make an appointment and receive approval before submitting your passport application to an agency. The closest passport agency to Nebraska is the Colorado Passport Agency in Aurora, Colorado.

Nebraska Passport Books vs. Cards

When you fill out your passport application, you must specify if you want a passport book or a passport card. A passport book is the booklet often pictured when discussing passports. The cover is blue with gold lettering, the first page contains key identifying information, and the remaining blank pages are for visa stamps.

This passport allows you to gain access to all 176 countries that accept a US passport. It can be used for international travel and domestic travel alike.

A passport card, on the other hand, was created for Americans who frequently cross into Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean. The card allows holders to travel between Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean by land or sea. However, it does not allow holders to travel to Europe, Asia, Australia or central and South America.

A passport card costs less than a passport book, so residents who travel frequently to the countries listed above may see this as a better option. However, applicants can choose to apply for both when submitting the passport application.

How to Get a Passport in Nebraska

You must submit a passport application at a passport acceptance facility to receive a new passport. Additionally, you must also provide multiple documents proving your identity and citizenship. Finally, you can expect to pay US passport fees when submitting your application.

You will need the following to apply:

  • Application for a US Passport
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Photo ID, such as a valid driver’s license
  • Payment for the application processing fees

You can find a complete list of acceptable documents on the United States Department of State (DOS) website. Additionally, your copies of citizenship and identification must include front and back pages where applicable. Your passport fees include an application fee and an execution fee, paid separately.

If you are applying on behalf of a child under 16 years of age, you must provide evidence of parental relationship. A list of acceptable evidence is on the DOS website. Additionally, a child’s passport costs less than an adult’s.

If a child is between 16 and 17 years of age, he or she can apply independently. However, the child must demonstrate parental awareness. This can be with a notarized statement from a parent or the parent’s presence when submitting the passport application.

U.S. Passport Renewals in Nebraska

Passports that are close to their expiration date or expired will not be accepted by other countries. Therefore, you should renew your US passport at least six months before the expiration date. However, you can only renew if all the following are true:

  • You have your last passport.
  • Your last passport is undamaged.
  • Your last passport is an adult passport.
  • Your last passport was issued in the past 15 years.
  • Your name has not changed OR you can prove a change of name with legal documents.

If you are eligible, you can renew your US passport by mail instead of visiting a passport acceptance facility. To renew your passport, fill out the US Passport Renewal Application.

Place your form, old passport, passport photos and US passport fees in an envelope. Include a check made out to the Department of State, and you will only have to pay the application fee, not the execution fee.

How to Replace a Lost Passport in Nebraska

If your passport goes missing, you should report it right away, as stolen passports can be used to commit identity fraud. So, even if you do not want to replace it, you should still report it as missing. You can easily submit the lost passport form online if you do not want a new passport.

To replace a lost passport, complete the Application for a US Passport and the lost passport form. Gather all the necessary documents, including all relevant fees, and bring them to a passport acceptance facility and submit your application. You will receive a new passport in the next four to six weeks.

If you have a damaged passport you need to replace, do not throw it away. Instead, apply for a new passport and write a signed statement describing the nature of the damage. Include a passport photo, citizenship and ID documents, and all US passport fees. Submit your application at a passport acceptance facility and wait for your replacement in the mail.

How to Complete a Passport Update in Nebraska

If you change your name, it is necessary to request a passport update. Depending on how recently your passport was issued, you may request a correction or renew your passport with your new name. Additionally, you may have to correct errors or change other identifying information like your gender marker.

  • To update your name – If your passport was issued less than a year ago, fill out the passport corrections form. Include evidence of the name change, your old passport and a passport photo in your application. Mail it to the address on the form. You don’t have to pay any US passport fees. If it was issued more than a year ago, apply to renew your passport. Include evidence of your name change, a passport photo, your old passport and all fees in your application. Mail it to the address on the form. You will receive your replacement passport in four to six weeks.
  • To correct an error – If there is a printing or data error on your passport, fill out the corrections form. Send evidence of the error, a passport photo and the form to the address listed. You won’t have to pay US passport fees.  
  • To update your gender marker – To request a gender marker change, apply for a limited validity passport with evidence of appropriate clinical treatment. This passport is valid for two years. When you complete your transition process, you can submit a correction form to obtain a full-length passport. Read the DOS website for complete instructions.

Nebraska Expedited Passport Service

A typical application process takes four to six weeks to complete. However, if you need it faster, you can get your US passport expedited it for an additional fee.

You can add the expedite fee to your payment and mark on your form that you wish to expedite your application. If you’re renewing a US passport, write ‘expedite’ on the envelope. You will receive your new passport in three to four weeks.

You can expedite it faster if you have travel plans in the next three weeks. Contact the Colorado Passport Agency and schedule an appointment. After you make your appointment, gather all documents required for a new passport application.

Include the expedite fee and the application fee, but not the execution fee. Visit the agency at the appointed time and submit your application. You will receive your expedited passport in two to three weeks.

Finally, in life-or-death emergencies you can get your US passport expedited in under 72 hours. Emergencies include a family member who is gravely ill, injured or dying. Contact the DOS and explain your emergency.

Gather all necessary documents, including payment for fees and proof of the emergency. You will receive your new passport as soon as possible.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.