You must complete a passport application in Connecticut if you have an interest in traveling internationally. A passport card, similar to a passport book, serves as identification when you travel in and out or within the United States. It includes pertinent information such as your photo, full name and date of birth.

To obtain a passport, you must visit a passport acceptance facility or agency. The urgency of the passport request will determine the type of passport office that you will visit.

Each passport-related task has its own passport application process. For example, to visit a passport agency, you must demonstrate an immediate need for a passport.

With this in mind, it is important that you understand the process you need to complete before visiting in person. This will prevent you from wasting any time and be able to facilitate the process. For an overview of what you need to know about passports, continue reading below.

Where to Get a Passport in Connecticut

You can complete a passport application in Connecticut at two types of centers, which include a passport agency or a passport acceptance facility. The former is an appointment-only center to obtain an expedited passport, which allows you to receive a passport sooner if you meet the requirements. However, the acceptance facility is available for both services with and without appointments.

Facilities include post offices, county clerk offices and libraries. To obtain a new passport in person, you must be:

  • A first-time applicant.
  • A minor younger than 16 years of age.
  • A former passport-holder, which was issued when you were a minor.
  • An applicant with a passport issued over 15 years ago.

Connecticut Passport Books vs. Cards

For travel, residents may use a passport card or passport book to verify their identity. What is a passport book and card and how do they differ? While they both serve the same overall purpose, they are slight differences in their limitations and sizes.

The passport book is a small booklet containing several pages and is an acceptable form of ID for international travel. The booklet documents entries and exits in foreign countries. The card, on the other hand, is only acceptable for domestic travel and re-entry from Bermuda, the Caribbean, Canada and Mexico through border crossings and seaports.

One of the benefits of having a passport card in Connecticut is that it is more affordable and convenient to carry. It can also substitute a driver’s license or ID card when traveling domestically, as it is REAL ID-certified.

When applying for a new passport, you can obtain both and use them for various purposes. This can be an advantage if you have a lost passport book or card, as you could use the other for identification purposes.

How to Get a Passport in Connecticut

When you are getting a new passport in CT, you must go through a series of steps. Some requirements and procedures may vary depending on your age group. To complete the application, you must provide documents to process the request.

This includes:

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate or certificate of naturalization.
  • Passport photos that mean the requirements.
  • A signed parental permission form if you are a minor or between 16 and 17 years of age.

As part of the passport application process, parents or legal guardians may be required to provide proof of their relationship with the minor in some cases. In addition to these documents, applicants must complete a form listing their personal information such as full name, address and Social Security Number.

The passport card cost in Connecticut varies based on the date the applicant wants to obtain it, the applicant’s age and the type of passport they want. Typically, expedited passports are more expensive. Moreover, passport cards are more affordable than passport books.

U.S. Passport Renewals in Connecticut

You must renew a US passport in Connecticut once it is near the expiration. You have two options for submitting a renewal request. You may visit one of the US passport locations in person or send a renewal request by mail.

However, you must complete this process in person if one of these is true:

  • Your passport is severely damaged
  • Your passport was issued more than 15 years ago
  • You obtained your passport as a minor, younger than 16 years of age
  • You have recently changed your name

If you do not meet one of the above qualifications, then you may complete the passport renewal form and submit it via mail. Along with the form, you must also submit your old passport, a color photograph from the last six months and fee payment.

If you are wondering, “How much does it cost to renew your passport,” then the answer is it depends on the type of passport, delivery date and the applicant’s age. Keep in mind that the payment must be a money order or check payable to the U.S. Department of State.

How to Replace a Lost Passport in Connecticut

A lost or damaged passport in Connecticut leaves you at risk of identity theft. As such, it is vital that you request a passport replacement as soon as possible. To replace a passport, you can visit a passport agency or acceptance facility, depending on how urgent the request is.

However, keep in mind that to visit an agency, you must have an appointment except on special passport days. Once there, you will complete a lost passport form and submit the appropriate documents.

If you fear you have a stolen passport, then you must report it immediately. A passport is an important document that you use to prove your identity. When it falls into the wrong hands, it can lead to fraud on your accounts.

Reporting services are available online, in person and over the phone. Once you have notified the Bureau of Consular Affairs, the passport will be invalid.

How to Complete a Passport Update in Connecticut

A passport update in CT may be necessary if you have recently gone through a name or sex-designated change. You may also require a new passport if there was a data or printing error on your passport.

Data or Printing Errors

Having a data or printing error on your passport card, such as a misspelled name or missing information, can affect your ability to use your passport as identification. As such, you must go through the process of getting a passport updated to accurately reflect your information.

Correcting the error entails completing a passport update form and furnishing the passport with the error, a photo in color and proof of the error. If you report the error one year after the passport’s issuance date, then the new passport will only be valid until the original passport’s expiration date. There are no fees to submit with this form.

Name Change

If you request the passport name change within one year of its issuance date, then you can send the request via mail. Along with a completed form, you must also include proof of your name change such as a certified marriage certificate or court order, your current passport and a color photo.

Photocopies and notarized copies are not accepted. This submission comes at no cost unless you request an expedited passport.

Submitting a request one year after the passport’s original issuance date will require completing a different form and paying passport renewal fees. It is important to note that in both scenarios, you must mail the forms via the United States Post Office, as other mail delivery services cannot fulfill this request.

Sex Marker Change

If you have recently completed a transition or are in the process, then you must update your passport to reflect your identity accurately. There are two types of passports that you can obtain, which include a permanent passport that lasts five or 10 years, depending on your age, or a two-year limited-validity passport.

You obtain the former once you complete your transition. The limited-validity passport is available to residents who are still transitioning. To qualify, applicants must submit:

  • A recent passport photo to reflect their current appearance.
  • A medical certification with an official letterhead from a licensed physician.
  • A form of identification with their current appearance.
  • The proof of a legal name change if applicable.

Connecticut Expedited Passport Service

If you want an expedited passport due to international travel plans or an emergency, then you must visit a passport agency. There is only one agency in the state and it is located in Stamford, Connecticut.

It is important to note that not all residents who want to obtain a new passport to qualify for an agency visit. You must meet one of the following requirements:

  • Proof of an error on your current passport
  • Proof that you are traveling internationally in less than two weeks
  • Demonstrate an immediate need, as in within four weeks, for a foreign visa

Once you meet eligibility requirements for an expedited passport in CT, you can set an appointment to visit the agency. Appointments are mandatory, except on special passport days. As for US passport fees, they vary based on the type of application you are obtaining, along with your age.

Last updated on Thursday, October 15 2020.