The Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either through the mail, or by using the DMV's online service. Registration renewals cannot be done on the phone or in person. If the registration renewal form does not come 60 days before the expiration date, it can be ordered online here.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
- Send the completed registration renewal form and the appropriate payment to:
Department of Motor Vehicles PO Box 150444 Hartford CT 06115-0444
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- Go to the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles Online Services website.
- Online renewals are only allowed for owners who have no taxes or tickets due. Current insurance information and emission testing data are also needed.
- Have your credit card (Visa or MasterCard) handy to pay for the renewal.
- There is no additional fee for online renewals.
Registration for different categories of vehicles in Connecticut will have different fees that range from no fee to upwards of $85 as seen here. A late charge of $10 is levied for vehicles being registered five days after the expiration date.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, fill out Change of Address Form and mail it to :
Department of Motor Vehicles 60 State Street Wethersfield, CT 06161-5070 Attn: Data Entry Change of Address Unit
- For any other error or if the registration expires, call the DMV Telephone Center.