The Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either through the mail, using the DMV's online service, in person at the VA DMV office, or at a DMV Select Office.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY TELEPHONE
THERE IS NO OPTION FOR RENEWAL THROUGH TELEPHONE! Instead, you can go at a DMV Select Office.
There are 57 DMV Select offices in Virginia. Find the DMV Select office that is closest to you in order to avoid the $5 fee.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
- Send the completed registration renewal form and the appropriate payment to:
Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Attn: Renewal Center P.O. Box 27412 Richmond, Virginia 23269-0001
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- Go to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles Online Services website.
- Have your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) or debit card (MasterCard or VISA) handy to pay for the renewal. You can also request an electronic withdrawal from your checking account.
- There is no additional fee for online renewals.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the DMV office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal form, along with cash, check, credit or debit card to pay for the renewal.
Registration for different categories of vehicles in Virginia will have different fees that range from $18 to $100 as seen here.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can still use the automated, toll-free number (804) 497-7100 to renew, or use the online services to correct your address before renewing.
- For any other error, dial the number (804) 497-7100 and explain the error to the DMV customer service agent.