The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed up to 90 days before the registration expires either through the mail, using the DMV's online service, or in person.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- Go to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles Online Services website.
- The license plate number and the title number are needed.
- Have your Visa or MasterCard credit/debit card handy to pay for the renewal.
- There is no additional fee for online renewals.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the Vehicle and License Plate Renewal Office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal form along with a credit card, check, money order or cash to pay for the renewal.
- In the absence of the renewal form, carry your license plate number as well as insurance details.
Registration for different categories of vehicles in North Carolina will have different fees varying from $1 to $30 as seen here
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- If you do not receive the registration renewal form, call (919) 715-7000.
- For correction or change of address, fill in the address change form and mail it within 60 days of your move to:
NC Division of Motor Vehicles
3148 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-3148
- For any other error, visit your local DMV Office.