The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) notifies vehicle owners of the expiration date of their vehicle registration by mail. Vehicle registrations can be renewed before the expiration date either by telephone, through the mail, using the BMV's online service, at the self-serving registration kiosks or in person.
You could also opt for biennial renewal, for which fees will be charged for 2 years and an additional $5.25 will be charged as a deputy registrar fee. Three, four and five year renewals are available for certain types of veihicles and cost between $8 and $10.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY TELEPHONE
You will need a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) or check routing number to pay for the renewal transaction. The procedure takes less than 5 minutes.
- Have your credit card, Social Security Number, license plate as well as registration renewal notice and the emissions certificate handy before the call.
- Call the toll free number (866) 675-2837.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL BY U.S. MAIL
1. You can avail of this option if your details on the registration card are unchanged.
2. Send the necessary renewal documents and the appropriate payment to:
Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles P.O. Box 16520 Columbus, Ohio 43216-6520
REGISTRATION RENEWAL VIA THE INTERNET
- You can only take advantage of this system, provided you meet all the online renewal requirements.
- Go to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles Online Services website.
- Have your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express) handy to pay for the renewal. You can also request an electronic withdrawal from your checking account.
- There is no additional fee for online renewals.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL IN PERSON
- Locate the BMV Branch Office in your area.
- Bring the registration renewal card and any acceptable form of identification along with a proof of a completed E-check inspection, credit or debit card to pay for the renewal.
REGISTRATION RENEWAL AT SELF-SERVICE TERMINALS
Authenticate your ID card or driver's license or manually enter the data at appointed self-service kiosks.
Registration for different categories of vehicles in Ohio will have different fees starting at $28.50 and will vary depending on the location of residence.
- Before renewal, check for errors in the pre-printed vehicle renewal notice that arrived in the mail.
- For correction or change of address, you can use their online services to update information or do so in person by visiting the deputy registrar's branch or by mail. Use BMV's change of address form to update information before renewing or alternately, you can mail your details (full name, driver's license number, date of birth, previous address as well as the new or changed address) to:
Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles ATTN: Record Clearance P.O. Box 16784 Columbus, OH 43216-6784