How to Renew Your Vehicle Registration in Arizona
Requirements for Car Registration Renewal in Arizona
Completing your Arizona DMV registration renewal is only possible after fulfilling the various eligibility requirements set by the Department of Transportation. Generally, you can meet these varied requirements if you:
- Have completed an AZDOT-approved vehicle emissions test.
- Maintain a minimum liability insurance policy.
- Can prove that you are the legal owner of the vehicle being registered.
What do you need to renew your car registration in Arizona?
Besides bringing an acceptable payment method for the AZ DMV registration renewal fees, you will need to submit certain documents to the AZDOT. This mandated paperwork includes:
Arizona Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice
Receiving an Arizona vehicle registration renewal notice is one of the most important parts of the entire renewal process, as it can serve as a reminder that your credential is about to expire. All registered car owners are notified that their registrations are close to reaching their expiration dates.
If your original registration application was provided to the MVD with an email address, that address will be used for the division to send your notice of renewal. Conversely, if an email address was not been provided, a physical copy of your notice to renew a car registration will be sent to your mailing address.
In any case, be mindful that your AZ DMV registration renewal status and expiration date will be listed on this notice. Thus, this document will inform you of which MVD costs and taxes you are responsible for paying, as well as when they are due.
Arizona Car Registration Renewal Notice Lost or Not Received
A lost registration renewal notice may be an inconvenience due to the fact that this document informs vehicle owners of how much they owe to the MVD and when these payments are due. Furthermore, this notice identifies what kinds of documents and pieces of information you will need later on in the renewal process.
If you have a lost car registration renewal form or did not receive it in the first place, you may contact your nearest MVD office and get a new one. Otherwise, you can simply to learn about the information that the notice would provide you with. Generally, you do not need this renewal notice in order to renew a car registration in the state.
Arizona Car Registration Renewal Options
Choosing to renew a car registration online in Arizona is a common practice among vehicle owners in the state. However, there are many different application methods that you can choose from. Overall, you must opt for the method that you qualify for, but also that works best for you.
How to Renew Your Car Registration Online
An AZ vehicle registration renewal online can be requested through the state’s official portal. When you visit the AZDOT website, you will be required to input the following information:
- Vehicle emissions test results
- Your personal contact information
- The last two digits of your vehicle identification number (VIN), or your license plate number
- Your credit card information for any applicable fees
How to Renew Your Car Registration by Mail
Your motor vehicle registration renewal in Arizona may be completed by mail, particularly if you are currently out of state. To do so, you must compile all of the proper information and send it in a letter to the following mailing address:
Motor Vehicle Division 4005 N 51st Ave. Phoenix, AZ 85031
How to Renew Your Car Registration in Person
Residents also have the option to renew an expired vehicle registration by bringing all of the required materials to a local Arizona MVD office in person. In general, there are dozens of different MVD offices located throughout the state. They can be particularly useful if you have any questions before you submit your renewal request.
How to Renew Your Car Registration by Phone
You can renew a car registration in Arizona over the phone by following different prompts and answering varying questions pertaining to your renewal notice and original registration form. For the main MVD office in Phoenix, you may dial (888) 713-3031.
Military & Out of State Vehicle Registration Renewal in Arizona
Discovering where to renew a vehicle registration in Arizona if you are in the military or currently outside of Arizona can seem tricky, as these situations may limit the number of methods that motorists can choose from. If you are an active duty military service member who is stationed in AZ, you can choose whether to keep your home state vehicle registration or sign up for a new registration in Arizona.
Arizona Vehicle Registration Renewal Fees
The Arizona auto registration renewal cost can vary depending on many different factors. Some of the many applicable fees that you can have regarding this credential include:
- Public safety fees. These fees, which are charged upon the initial issuance of a registration and whenever they are renewed, amounts to $32.
- Base fees. The standard base fees vary depending on the type of vehicle registration that you are renewing. Overall, they range between $4.50 and $9.
- Additional fees. If you need to renew a car registration in Arizona, the AZDOT can charge small fees for a variety of reasons. These can include taxes and minimal fees for air quality testing. In any case, these additional charges can range between $0.25 and $3.
- Late fees. You may be subject to an $8 initial late fee, plus an additional $4 for each month that your renewal is overdue. You may also be charged a fee if any of your emissions testing fails, or a $25 charge for checks returned by a financial institution.