Guide to applying for a AZ motorcycle license. Required ID, age limits, drivers ed, fees, driving restrictions, etc
You can apply for a motorcycle instruction permit and license at any MVD office in Arizona. In order to apply for a motorcycle license you must first apply for an instruction permit. The minimum age for applicants is 15 years and seven months.
When applying for a motorcycle instruction permit, you will have to undertake the following requirements:
- Visit your local MVD office and fill in the application form.
- Take a written test whose questions are based on the Motorcycle Operator Manual.
- Pay an application fee ($25.00).
Instruction Permit (Learner's Permit)
Once you complete the aforementioned prerequisites, you will be given an instruction permit. This permit will allow you to practice driving a motorcycle.
Instruction Permit Restrictions
With your instruction permit you are not permitted to:
- Drive on the highway
- Drive during the evening
- Ride with any passengers
Applying for a Motorcycle License
If you are under 18 years of age, you must have held your license for a minimum five month period. To obtain your license, you must undertake the following:
- Attain 30 hour's of practice riding under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian or otherwise satisfactorily complete the 15-hour Basic Riders Course.
- Make an appointment with your local MDV office.
- Complete a second written test based on the Motorcycle Operator Manual.
- Undertake the road test.
- Pay the $25.00 application fee.
- New drivers see our Driver Education , Driving Schools, Beginner Drivers and Learner's Permits for Beginner Drivers sections.
- For information on other types of licenses, see Commercial Driver's Licenses or other Drivers Licenses.
- Motorcycle insurance is needed for all motorcycles operated in Arizona. See Auto Insurance for more information.