Kansas motorcycle license credentials are official documents issued by the Division of Vehicles of the state Department of Revenue (DOR) that provide drivers with the privilege to operate a motorbike on public roadways. Instead of stand-alone bike licenses, the state DOR issues a motorcycle endorsement, which is added to standard driver’s licenses. However, riders below the age of 21 years old may be able to obtain a stand-alone KS Class M license. Also, prior to applying for a license, motorcyclists have the option of obtaining a learner’s permit. To get more information on getting your motorcycle license in KS, continue reading the sections below.

Motorcycle License Requirements in Kansas

To complete the process of applying for a motorcycle license in Kansas, riders will be required to meet several requirements, which may vary depending on the applicant’s age. For instance, motorcyclists getting a bike license as minors will require parental approval. The requirements applicants must meet are as follows:

  • Be at least 15 years old
  • Hold a motorcycle learners permit for one year if required to do so
  • Pass the applicable licensing tests
  • Have no driving license suspensions on record
  • Complete a driver education course if required to do so
  • Provide parental approval to apply for a license if a minor
  • Accrue a certain number of hours of supervised riding if under 18 years old

The documents necessary to get a motorcycle license include proof of identity, state residency, Social Security Number and lawful U.S. presence. Depending on whether you are applying for a motorcycle license as a U.S. citizen or a noncitizen, you will have to choose your identification paperwork from a different list of acceptable documents.

Note: When transferring a valid out-of-state bike license, new state residents will only be required to pass the vision examination. However, submitting the full set of supporting documents and paying the licensing fees is a mandatory requirement in such cases.

Kansas Motorcycle License Training Courses

When applying for a motorcycle license in Kansas, completing a rider’s course is not a required step. However, riders requesting a license are still encouraged to enroll in an approved motorcycle education course to further improve their safe riding skills. Bike license applicants who complete a state-approved rider’s course will also be exempted from taking the on-cycle skills exam. The Kansas Motorcycle Education Program is implemented by the Department of Education (DOE), which provides classes at various locations throughout the state. For additional information on attending a rider’s course when getting a motorcycle license in KS, contact the state DOE.

Kansas Motorcycle License Tests

To verify that riders are ready for a Kansas motorcycle drivers license, the state DOR administers several licensing tests. During the initial phase of the application process for new bike endorsements, applicants will be required to pass a vision test and a written motorcycle test. The vision screening is designed to check whether or not the rider meets the minimum vision standards. The knowledge exam, on the other hand, covers the state road rules and regulations as well as safe riding practices. After passing these initial KS bike license tests, riders will have to schedule and take a skills exam to demonstrate their ability to safely operate a motorbike in various traffic situations. However, graduates from a motorcycle safety course will not be required to take the skills exam.

Note: If you fail to pass a motorcycle license test, then you can retake it the next working day by paying the applicable retesting fee.

The Kansas Motorcycle License Application Process

When getting a motorbike license in Kansas, applicants will be required to complete several steps, which may vary depending on their age. Also, to finalize the application process for an endorsement, riders may have to make more than one visit to a nearby driver licensing office.

You can get a motorcycle license in KS after obtaining a stand-alone driver’s license by completing the following steps:

  • Fill out an application form if applicable
  • Submit the required proofs of identity and present your license to drive
  • Pass the vision test, the written motorcycle exam and a skills test
  • Complete a motorcycle education course if skipping the skills exam
  • Pay the applicable fees

Note: Riders younger than 18 years of age will be required to complete additional steps due to the requirements of the state graduated licensing process.

Kansas Motorcycle License Fees

Paying the total motorcycle license cost in Kansas is one of the last steps when getting a motorcycle license. However, since a KS bike license is added as an endorsement to an existing license and the application process includes a testing phase, riders may be required to pay several fees. For example, a 4-year Class C license with a motorcycle endorsement will include a $12 basic licensing fee, a $9 bike endorsement fee, an $8 photo fee and the exam cost of $3, for a total of $32. Class CM licenses with a validity of 6 years, on the other hand, cost a total of $41.50. Riders who also obtain a 1-year Class M permit in KS will also be required to pay the $10 permit fee.

Note: Class M licenses issued to applicants younger than 21 years of age are available at a total fee of $31 and expire on the day the holder turns 21 years old.

Last updated on Friday, September 28 2018.

Have a Question? Get Quick Online Answers!