is a privately owned website. Privacy

Information for Disabled Drivers in Kansas

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

In Kansas, drivers certified by licensed health personnel to have impaired mobility or a condition which substantially interferes with mobility may qualify for "Disabled" status.

You are also considered a disabled driver if you:

  • Have a severe visual impairment.
  • Cannot walk without the assistance from a brace, cane, crutch, another person, prosthetic device, wheelchair, or other assistive device.
  • Are restricted by lung disease to such an extent that the your forced respiratory expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than 1 liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than 60 mm of mercury on room air at rest.
  • Use portable oxygen.
  • Have a severe Class III or Class IV cardiac condition according to standards set by the American Heart Association.
  • Are severely limited in your ability to walk at least 100 feet without rest due to an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic or other limiting conditions.

Disabled persons can acquire a Disability placard or license plates. These entitle you to special parking privileges in areas designated for disabled persons, whenever you are the driver or a passenger of the vehicle. Misuse or abuse of these privileges is a misdemeanor; offenders can get fine of at least $100 up to $300 and additional penalties under local ordinance. Forgery and/or trading in counterfeit or genuine placards invite higher penalties, including time in state prison.

Other facilities available for disabled drivers include:

  • Free parking at parking meters for up to 24 hours.
  • Ability to take a leashed service animal along to the DMV.
  • TTY for Speech and Hearing Impaired.
  • Specially designated counters for Disabled Persons at the DMV office.


You are considered to have disabled status when you acquire a disability placard or license plates. The procedure to acquire these is explained below.

Duration of status

Disability license plates are available only to those who are permanently disabled.

Disability placards may be issued to those with permanent or temporary disabilities. Temporary placards are only valid for 6 months or the date noted by your physician, whichever is lesser.

How to apply for Disability license plates or a placard

An individual with a permanent disability can avail of one of the following disabled parking choices:

  • One disabled license plate and/or one placard, or
  • Two placards, but NO disabled license plate.

Persons with temporary disabilities are not eligible for disability license plates.
To obtain disability license plates or placards:

Along with your new plates or placards, you will receive a disabled identification card, which you must carry with you when in the vehicle, and present upon request by law enforcement officers or other authorized persons.


A permanent or temporary disability placard is free. There is also no fee for replacement. Disabled license plate will require a 50¢ reflective plate fee.


Once the 3 year validity of the permanent Disability placards or license plate holder must show proof of continued disability.

  1. Download and complete self certification of continued eligibility for disabled parking privilege form (can be completed parent or legal guardian).
  2. Only licensees with permanent disabilities are eligible for renewal.
  3. Holders of permanent placards do not require recertification by a doctor.
  4. This completed self certification must be retained by you until your annual vehicle registration is renewed. This certificate can be personally submitted at your local county treasurer's motor vehicle office along with the appropriate fees or can be mailed with the renewal notice to:
    Department of Revenue    
Division of Vehicles
Topeka, Kansas 66626-0001    


To replace lost, stolen or mutilated placards or plates:

  1. Download and complete the Certification of Disability for Disabled Parking Placard and/or Plate.
  2. Fill in your disabled identification card number.
  3. Apply in person at the nearest local county treasurer's motor vehicle office.
  4. You do not require re-certification by a medical practitioner for replacement placards or plates.


Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By