is a privately owned website. Privacy

How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Kansas

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of Kansas. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into Kansas for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a County Treasurer's Office near you.


  • In Kansas, an antique vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that was manufactured over thirty-five years ago which can run on steam, gas, electricity or a combination of all three. Antique military vehicle, irrespective of its size is a vehicle that was manufactured for use in military forces of any country and is maintained to showcase its military design.
  • The State defines a custom-built assembled vehicle as any motor vehicle that has been assembled using parts (like engine, body, or frame) from at least three different vehicles. A Unibody Vehicle is one made from parts of two different vehicles. "Kit" vehicles are built from a kit and other parts to make replicas of classic vehicles. The model year of a Kit vehicle will be the model year of the vehicle it resembles. The model year of an assembled vehicle will be the year it is inspected and titled.


You will have to visit a County Treasurer's Office near you to register your antique or custom-built Vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the renewal office:

  1. A completed and notarized Title Application, when obtaining a title for a new, custom-built vehicle.
  2. The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled. You can also use an Ownership Affidavit for antique vehicles that have not been titled.
  3. A completed Builder's Affidavit, for custom-built vehicles.
  4. Completed Current Odometer Reading.
  5. An Inspection Report from the Kansas Highway Patrol, certifying that the vehicle is safe to take on the road.
  6. A Bill of Sale for Antique vehicles with 1949 or older model year.


When registering an antique or custom-built vehicle, you will be required to pay the correct titling fees. In addition, there is an application fee of $3.00 for repossession of title. The Kansas Department of Motor Vehicles accepts cash, money orders or checks.


Your custom-built or antique vehicle's registration will clearly indicate when it will expire. The process for renewing the registration on a custom or antique vehicle is the same as renewing the registration on a regular motor vehicle.


  • Auto Insurance is required for all custom vehicles operated in Kansas.
  • See also Title Transfers and Registering a Non-Custom Vehicle.
  • If any parts (body, frame, transmission and/or engine) of an antique vehicle are replaced with those of the same vintage, model and make vehicle it continues to remain in the antique category.
  • If the antique vehicle is not roadworthy then apply only for its title. Antique registration can be applied for once it is made roadworthy.
  • Motorized bicycle and a manufactured or mobile home do not have to be inspected.

Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By