Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of Arkansas. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into Arkansas for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a State Revenue Office near you.
WHAT ARE ANTIQUE AND CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLES?
- In Arkansas, antique license plates are awarded for 25-year-old vehicles or older. These are vehicles which have not been modified from the original specifications of the manufacturer. Another antique vehicle is the Street Rod which is any 1948 or later model motor vehicle that is minimum 25 years old or was built to resemble a vehicle like this.
- The State defines a custom-built vehicle as one which has been completely altered from the original specifications of the manufacturer using non-original parts. Custom vehicles will have the word "replica" printed in the remarks column of the Certificate of Title.
HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLE
You will have to visit a State Revenue Office near you to register your antique or custom-built Vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the office:
- A completed and notarized Title Application, when obtaining a title for a new, custom-built vehicle.
- The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled. It should include the make, year, vehicle identification number and model.
- A completed Builder's Affidavit for custom-built vehicles.
- If the vehicle is not registered and titled to the applicant then include bill of sale for major components (if vehicle is built from a several sources) OR an earlier title or bill of sale that shows make, year, vehicle identification number and model.
When registering an antique or custom-built vehicle, you will be required to pay the appropriate titling fees.
RENEWING A CUSTOM-BUILT OR ANTIQUE VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Your custom-built or antique vehicle's registration will clearly indicate when it will expire. Annual renewal not required for antique vehicles and antique motorcycle license plates. Annual renewal of Street Rod or Custom License Plates can be done online by subscribers who have statutory rights to access this data OR at participating Wal-Mart stores OR at an office near you.
- See also Title Transfers and Registering a Non-Custom Vehicle.
- Auto Insurance is needed for all custom vehicles operated in Arkansas.
- Vehicles with Street Rod or Custom Vehicle license plate will have to be maintained for occasional exhibitions, transportations, parades, tours, club activities etc and must not be utilized for general transportation.
- Some changes are permitted for Antique Vehicle License Plates if there are typical of that time period or pertain to safety (seat belts, headlights, seal beam, brakes etc).