Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of Washington. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into Washington for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a Vehicle Licensing Office near you.
WHAT ARE ANTIQUE AND CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLES?
- In Washington, an antique vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that was manufactured at least forty years ago. A collector's vehicle is one that was manufactured at least thirty years ago. A Street Rod is a vehicle that was manufactured before 1949 or is made to look like that.
- The State defines a custom-built vehicle as any motor vehicle that has been assembled or completely reconstructed using new or used parts, like Kit Cars. Custom vehicles are registered with the make as "custom-built."
HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLE
You will have to visit a Vehicle Licensing office near you to register your antique or custom-built Vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the renewal office:
- A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) issued by the State Patrol.
- A completed and notarized Title Application, when obtaining a title for a new, custom-built vehicle.
- The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled.
- Emissions certificate (only required in Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish and Spokane).
- An Inspection Report, certifying that the vehicle is safe to take on the road.
When registering an antique or custom-built vehicle, you will be required to pay the appropriate titling fees. The Washington DOL accepts cash, money orders or checks (with two forms of identification).
RENEWING A CUSTOM-BUILT OR ANTIQUE VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Your custom-built or antique vehicle's registration will clearly indicate when it will expire. The process for renewing the registration on a custom or antique vehicle is the same as renewing the registration on a regular motor vehicle.