is a privately owned website. Privacy

How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in North Dakota

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of North Dakota. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into North Dakota for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a Motor Vehicle Office near you.


  • In North Dakota, an antique vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that was manufactured at least forty years ago. A collector's vehicle is one that is 25 or more years old. The model year will be the year in which the vehicle was built.
  • The State defines custom-built vehicles as special motor vehicles which are of three types: Type I, Type II and Type III. Type I is a vehicle with original configuration but altered parts like altered steering, brake, etc. Type II is a vehicle which has altered configuration but retains the original look of the vehicle. It may also have altered parts like altered steering, brake, etc. Type III is a vehicle that has been assembled or completely reconstructed using new or used parts. A home-made trailer is another example of a custom-built vehicle which has been reconstructed or built and used to move property.


You will have to visit a Motor Vehicle Office near you to register your antique or custom-built (special motor) Vehicle. When registering a custom (special motor) or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the renewal office:

  1. A completed and notarized Title Application, when obtaining a title for a new, antique or special motor vehicle.
  2. Previous Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom (special motor) vehicles that have already been titled.
  3. For antique vehicles, a completed and notarized Bill of Sale must be used if there is no title. For a collector's vehicle you need to fill Form 16783 and include a signed statement stating that the vehicle is operated and owned as a collector's item and not for purpose of general transport.
  4. An Inspection Report, certifying that the vehicle is safe to take on the road, issued by the North Dakota Highway Patrol.


When registering an antique or custom (special motor) vehicle you will be required to pay the appropriate fee. In addition, on first applying for a North Dakota title, you will normally need to pay $1.50 as Abandoned Vehicle Fee and Motor Vehicle Tax of 5%. The North Dakota Motor Vehicle Division accepts cash, money orders or checks.


Your antique vehicle's license is valid for the vehicle's life. The process for renewing the registration on a collector's vehicle and custom-built vehicles is the same as renewing the registration on a regular motor vehicle.


  • Auto Insurance is required for all antique and custom (special motor) vehicles operated in North Dakota.
  • See also Title Transfers and Registering a Non-Custom Vehicle.
  • Antique vehicles cannot be used for farming activities or routine business use.
  • Personalized plates can be bought for a one-time $100 fee.
  • Homemade vehicles and those assembled by motor vehicle dealers are tax-exempt.

Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By