is a privately owned website. Privacy

How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Nebraska

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of Nebraska. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into Nebraska for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a County Office near you.


  • In Nebraska, an antique vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that was manufactured at least before 1940 and in which any major component has not been replaced.
  • The State defines a custom-built or assembled vehicle as any motor vehicle that has been assembled or completely reconstructed using major new or used parts. An assembled classic vehicle is one that was originally built over 30 years before applying for the title and has at least one large component part substituted by a similar part. Other types of custom-built vehicles are Kit Vehicles and Custom Built Motorcycles from Aftermarket Parts which are usually built by someone besides a recognized manufacturer using models/parts bought from an authorized maker and have a manufacturer's statement of origin. Assembled and Kit vehicles are registered under the ‘assembled' make. Custom Built Motorcycle from Aftermarket Parts are registered under the ‘home made' make. The model year for assembled classic vehicle will be the original model, make and year in which the vehicle was built. The model year for an assembled and Kit Vehicles and Custom Built Motorcycle from Aftermarket Parts will be the year it was assembled.


You will have to visit a County Treasurer's Office near you to register your antique or custom-built Vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the renewal office:

  1. A completed and notarized Title Application, when obtaining a title for a new, custom-built vehicle.
  2. Previous Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled. An Affidavit for Transfer/Verification of Antique Motor Vehicle can also be used for an antique vehicle. In the absence of these documents, a Bonded Certificate Title will be required.
  3. An Application for Assigned ID Number, since an assigned ID number is needed to register custom-built vehicles.
  4. A completed and notarized Affidavit for Verification of Classic Assembled Motor Vehicle, for custom-built assembled classic vehicles along with a Sworn Affidavit that the DMV assigned ID number is correctly displayed on the vehicle.
  5. An Inspector's Report, certifying that the vehicle is safe to take on the road. The County Sheriff will provide the report, following the vehicle inspection. A Qualified Car Club Representative's report is also required for assembled classic vehicles.
  6. A notarized Bill of Sale for an antique vehicle that has never been titled and for large components of assembled classic and kit vehicles.
  7. Proof of payments of sales/excise tax and current insurance.


When registering an antique or custom-built vehicle, you will be required to pay the appropriate titling fees. It is advisable to contact the County Treasure for specific amount and mode of payment.


Your custom-built or antique vehicle's registration will clearly indicate when it will expire. The process for renewing the registration on a custom or antique vehicle is the same as renewing the registration on a regular motor vehicle.


Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By