Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of District of Columbia. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into District of Columbia for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a DMV Service Center near you.
WHAT ARE ANTIQUE AND CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLES?
- In District of Columbia, an antique vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that was manufactured at least thirty-five years ago.
- District of Columbia defines a custom-built vehicle as any motor vehicle that has been assembled or completely reconstructed using new or used parts. Custom vehicles are registered with the make as "custom-built." The model year will be the year in which the vehicle was built.
HOW TO REGISTER AN ANTIQUE OR CUSTOM BUILT VEHICLE
You will have to visit a DMV Service Center near you to register your antique or custom-built vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the service center:
- A completed Title Application, when obtaining a title for a new, custom-built vehicle.
- Bill of Sale for a new custom-built vehicle.
- The Certificate of Title or manufacturer's certificate of origin, for antique or custom vehicles that have already been titled.
- A valid DC identification, either a driver's license or ID.
- Inspection Report.
- Insurance Proof.
- Current Odometer Reading Proof.
When registering an antique or custom-built vehicle, you will be required to pay the appropriate registration and inspection fees. In addition, you are required to pay any delinquent payments on child support and/or traffic tickets before being permitted to register your vehicle. The District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles accepts cash, money orders or checks (with two forms of identification).
RENEWING A CUSTOM-BUILT OR ANTIQUE VEHICLE REGISTRATION
Your custom-built or antique vehicle's registration will clearly indicate when it will expire. The process for renewing the registration on a custom or antique vehicle is the same as renewing the registration on a regular motor vehicle.