is a privately owned website. Privacy

How to Register a Custom or Antique Vehicle in Alaska

Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save Exclusive!

Like most other motor vehicles, custom-built and antique vehicles must be properly registered and titled in the state of Alaska. However, the process of registering an antique or custom-built vehicle is different from registering a regular vehicle. If you have brought an antique or custom-built vehicle into Alaska for a first time registration, or if you have custom-assembled a vehicle in the State, you will be referred to a DMV Office near you.


  • In Alaska, an antique or historic vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that was manufactured at least thirty years ago.
  • The State defines a custom vehicle as one that has been materially changed from the originally built vehicle by adding, removing or substituting essential components. Engine, body and chassis are counted as essential components. Only transmission, any major component or engine replacement does not make it a reconstructed vehicle. A home built trailer is one that has been constructed by someone besides the manufacturer. It can be non-commercial or commercial.


You will have to visit a DMV Office near you to register your antique or custom-built Vehicle. When registering a custom-built or antique vehicle, you will need to bring the following materials to the DMV office:

  1. A completed and notarized vehicle title/registration form
  2. The applicant has to surrender titles of the vehicles from which the frame/chassis vehicle identification number was taken, if had not been surrendered earlier.
  3. A completed and notarized Reconstructed Vehicle Affidavit or a Homebuilt Trailer Affidavit (in case of trailer) for custom-built vehicles.
  4. An Inspector's Report, to verify the vehicle's identity and its identification number. The DMV License and Theft Bureau Inspector will provide the report, following the vehicle inspection.
  5. In case DMV records have any lien releases then a lien release must be obtained.


When registering an antique or custom-built vehicle, you will be required to pay the appropriate here. In addition, when transferring a title, you may need to pay a Motor Vehicle Registration Tax in some buroughs and municipalities. This is based on year and class of the vehicle, residential address of the owner with a new passenger vehicle that is up to its second year of age having a MVRT tax of $121.00 if the owner lives in Anchorage. Non-personalized checks are not accepted by Alaska DMV. Applicants address and name must be pre-printed on any check.


Your custom-built or antique vehicle's registration will clearly indicate when it will expire. The process for renewing the registration on a custom or antique vehicle can be done online. Any change in address must be made prior to renewal.


  • See also Title Transfers and Registering a Non-Custom Vehicle.
  • Auto Insurance is needed for all custom vehicles operated in Alaska.
  • MasterCard and VISA credit cards accepted.
  • Vehicle inspection is waived for home-built trailers weighing less than 1,000 pounds. Tow this vehicle to the office for inspection with a one time trip permit that can be obtained for a $5 fee.

Have a Question? Get Instant Online Answers!

Powered By