A CDL replacement in Alaska, or commercial driver’s license replacement, is necessary whenever the original license is lost, stolen or destroyed. There are two options to replace CDL license credentials, and one method should be chosen as soon as possible after realizing the document is missing. A duplicate CDL license has the same limits and privileges of the original CDL and will be the same type of commercial license.

If you fail to obtain a CDL replacement quickly, you can be ticketed for driving without a valid commercial license. These tickets include fines and other penalties that are far more expensive than getting credential replaced promptly. In addition, delaying a replacement can negatively impact your commercial driving career. Keep reading to find how to get a CDL replacement in AK quickly and easily. Also, learn how much a duplicate CDL will cost.

When do you need to get a duplicate CDL license in Alaska?

A lost CDL drivers license is one of the most common reasons commercial drivers need to get a license replacement. You should also get a CDL replacement if your driver’s license card gets damaged to the point that the photo is distorted or any of the information cannot be read. If you cannot find your commercial drivers license and have reason to suspect it was stolen, you should file a report with your local law enforcement agency. Although state law does not require you to report an Alaska DMV CDL replacement that is due to theft, doing so can help protect you if someone uses your license fraudulently.

Documents Required to Replace a CDL in Alaska

Before you find out how to replace a CDL license, you need to know which documents to gather. To replace CDL license documents, you only need to provide two forms of identification that show proof of your legal name, date of birth and citizenship status.

Primary ID documents for CDL replacement include:

  • Original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate.
  • Passport issued by the United States or a U.S. Territory.
  • Foreign passport with accompanying immigration status forms from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS).
  • Resident alien, temporary resident alien or employment work authorization document issued by DHS or USCIS.
  • An Alaska state ID card or state instruction permit.
  • A Certificate of Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Birth Abroad.

Secondary ID documents verify the AK DMV CDL replacement information on your primary identification document. You may provide one of the following:

  • Drivers license or permit from another state
  • Employee, school, military or military dependent ID card
  • Health insurance card
  • Tax forms (IRS or state)
  • Medical records
  • Pilot’s license

How to Replace an Alaska CDL in Person

You can replace CDL license documents in person at any Alaska DMV location. If you need to replace a CDL license that is in a revoked, cancelled or suspended status, you must replace it in person at the DMV. Visit the Alaska DMV locator online for help in finding your nearest DMV office. The Alaska DMV has several business partners that also provide license replacement services. Call ahead to find out if the location you wish to visit also processes commercial driver license replacement applications. Note that DMV business partners may charge the usual DMV CDL replacement fee plus additional service or convenience fees.

After choosing your Alaska DMV CDL replacement location, visit during normal business hours and follow these steps:

  1. Fill out Form 478.
  2. Provide two pieces of identification from the lists provided above.
  3. Pass a vision test.
  4. Have a new photo taken.
  5. Pay the CDL replacement

When you apply for a duplicate CDL, you will receive a temporary paper document that includes your photo and all the information provided on a permanent license card, including a barcode. Your temporary CDL replacement will be valid for 60 days and should be used until your new hard card arrives by mail, usually within two weeks of your application date.

How to Replace an Alaska CDL Online

It is fast and easy to use the CDL replacement form, if you meet the online eligibility requirements. Since you must be at least 18 years of age to have a CDL, you already meet that online application requirement. In addition, the last time you obtained an AK duplicate CDL license, you must have gotten it in person at the DMV. You cannot change your name on your CDL replacement online or replace a revoked, cancelled or suspended license through the online DMV portal.

The information required to replace a CDL license online is similar to the in-person process. You must enter the reason you need a CDL replacement and the CDL number. If you do not know your CDL number, you must enter your eye color. The application also requires you to enter your Social Security Number, date of birth and full legal name. You must also certify the following:

  • You are a U.S. citizen.
  • Your address is correct.
  • Your name has not changed.
  • Your corrected or uncorrected vision is 20/40 or better.

After you pay the CDL replacement fee, your application will be processed within three to five business days. At that time, you will receive a receipt and a copy of your duplicate CDL license to print. You must print this copy and use it until your hard card arrives by mail, usually within two weeks. If you do not have a printer, you must visit a local DMV office to obtain a printed copy of the temporary CDL.

CDL Replacement Fees in Alaska

CDL replacement fees currently stand at $15 per card. If you need to replace a CDL license and it is within one year of your drivers license renewal date, you can renew your license early instead. If you are getting a standard renewal for your CDL replacement, the fee is $100. To replace a REAL ID commercial driver license, the fee is $120.

When paying for your AK CDL replacement, the DMV accepts VISA or Mastercard debit and credit cards, personalized checks and money orders. Checks and money orders should be made out to the Division of Motor Vehicles or the State of Alaska.

Last updated on Friday, March 6 2020.