Getting a CDL replacement in New Hampshire is a mandatory step for commercial operators who are without a valid driving license card, regardless of the circumstances. The process to replace CDL licenses can be completed through the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) of the state Department of Safety (DOS). Failure to get a replacement commercial driving license when necessary will result in certain fines and penalties, in most cases. For example, commercial motorists who violate the law by driving without the proper credential will be appropriately fined and suspended.

When replacing a damaged or lost CDL drivers license, applicants will be required to furnish the required documents and fee payments in person at a nearby NH DMV office. Commercial drivers who lose their credentials while outside of the state, on the other hand, will also be able to obtain a replacement temporary license.

When do you need to get a duplicate CDL license in New Hampshire?

Applying for a duplicate CDL license is a procedure that must be completed under different circumstances. For instance, replacing a lost commercial driving license in New Hampshire is the most common reason for requesting a duplicate credential. However, you will also have to apply for a replacement license in the following situations:

  • Your license has been stolen.
  • Your license has been inadvertently damaged or destroyed.
  • Your license was lost in transit.
  • You are making changes to your personal information
  • The state DMV has issued you an erroneous credential

Documents Required to Replace a CDL in New Hampshire

When replacing your CDL license, you will be required to furnish several types of documents, which will vary depending on your reason for requesting a duplicate credential. The following list outlines the various pieces of New Hampshire CDL replacement paperwork that may be needed in different situations:

  • The existing CDL license, if available
  • One or two proofs of identity, such as:
  • A birth certificate
  • A valid passport or passport card
  • A state-issued ID card
  • Evidence of state residency, if required, such as:
  • Utility bills
  • Lease agreements
  • Bank statements
  • Name change proof, such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree, if making changes to your name
  • Additional documents verifying changes to your address, gender, birth date and/or Social Security Number, if applicable
  • Certain CDL-specific paperwork, such as a medical card, if required

If you are upgrading a standard CDL credential to a REAL ID-compliant card, you will be required to submit a full set of paperwork, including proofs of lawful U.S. presence, state residency, identity and Social Security Number.

How to Replace a New Hampshire CDL in Person

The standard method to apply for a duplicate CDL requires you to submit the necessary items in person at a nearby New Hampshire DMV licensing office. The steps to get your CDL replacement license in person include, but may not be limited to, the following:

  1. Fill out the Commercial Driver License Application (Form DSMV312).
    1. Check the corresponding duplicate license box and write in the reason for requesting a replacement license.
  2. Complete the DMV Record Change Request (Form DSMV 30), if making changes to your personal information.
  3. Furnish the required identification proof and any other supporting paperwork that applies under your current circumstances.
  4. Pay the fee for a replacement CDL license.

After the state DMV processes your CDL replacement application, you will receive a 60-day temporary paper license. You can use the temporary card until you receive the permanent replacement at your address on file within 60 days. Note that you cannot apply for more than three CDL replacement credentials during the term of your commercial driving license.

How to Replace a New Hampshire CDL by Mail

Replacing your CDL license by by mail is an option for which you will qualify only if you are unable to make an office visit due to a temporary absence from the state. However, if you request a duplicate commercial license by mail, you will only receive a temporary credential with a six-month validity, which you will have to replace upon your return within the state. The steps to replace your CDL license by mail in New Hampshire include the following:

  1. Complete the DSMV312 form and the DSMV 594 Temporarily Away form.
    1. Provide your out-of-state address on the DSMV 594 form.
  2. Arrange payment for the replacement fee in the form of a check or money order.
  3. Include any additional supporting paperwork, depending on your circumstances.
  4. Mail the above items to the following address:
NH Department of Safety
DMV – Driver Licensing
23 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305

Once the state DMV receives your CDL replacement request, it will verify your eligibility for a temporary commercial driving license before manufacturing one. You will receive your six-month CDL credential at your address on file.

Commercial driving license name changes are not accepted through the mail. Members of the Armed Forces and their spouses must follow the procedure for military personnel before processing a name change.

If a divorce decree states that the individual wishes to retain his or her married name, then he or she cannot obtain a license with their maiden name.

CDL Replacement Fees in New Hampshire

Paying the New Hampshire CDL replacement fees is the final step in the application process for a duplicate credential. Note that the cost to replace your commercial driver’s license may vary depending on your reason for requesting a duplicate credential. The standard fees to replace CDL licenses in NH include the following:

  • $10 standard driver’s license replacement fee
  • $3 fee for a duplicate license due to an address change
  • Free-of-charge duplicate license if obtaining a replacement due to an error made by the New Hampshire DMV
  • Free-of-charge replacement CDL due to a name change

Note: Contact the state DMV to get an exact estimate of the CDL replacement costs that you will have to pay in your situation, since additional endorsement fees may also apply.

Last updated on Friday, March 6 2020.