Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
If your vehicle's registration card, license plate(s) or stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you may apply for a replacement with the New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles. While the procedure differs slightly depending on what needs to be replaced, you will usually need to complete the Application for Copy of Registration or Application for Replacement Plates And/Or Decals depending on what you are getting replaced.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION CARD
You can apply for a replacement registration card if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged in person by following these steps:
- Head to the nearest registration office or town clerk's office.
- Complete the Application for Copy of Registration.
- If your current registration card has been damaged, attach the damaged card to the application.
- Pay the duplicate registration fee, currently $10.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATES
If one or both of your license plates are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for replacement plate(s) immediately. You can obtain replacement plates either in person at your nearest registration office or town clerk's office by following these steps:
- Complete the Application for Replacement Plates And/Or Decals.
- Bring the damaged plate(s) with you, if you still have them.
- If the plates were stolen, report the loss to the police.
- Pay the appropriate duplicate registration fee, which is currently $1.
APPLYING FOR REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATE STICKER(S)
Replacing The Year Sticker
If your vehicle's year sticker is lost, stolen or damaged, you are required to obtain a replacement sticker. You must:
- Complete the application for replacement plates.
- Pay the appropriate fee, currently $1.
- Submit the application at your nearest registration office or town clerk's office.
- Note that you cannot obtain replacement license plates or stickers for vehicles that are not currently registered.
- If you have any queries related to your registration card, license plates, or stickers, contact the New Hampshire DMV at (603) 271-2251 for assistance.
- See also Vehicle registration and Registration Renewal.
- See also Replacing a Lost Driver's License and Replacing a Lost Title.