How to Replace Your Car Registration in Alabama
Replacing a stolen, damaged or lost car registration in Alabama is an important step that must be completed as soon as you realize that you no longer have a valid registration document. You can obtain a copy of a vehicle registration through the Motor Vehicle Division (MVD) of the state Department of Revenue (DOR). Note that the state MVD processes requests for replacement vehicle documents through its various license plate issuing offices. However, you may also be able to mail your application directly to the MVD headquarters in certain situations.
While the process to replace a car registration in AL may vary slightly from county to county, you will most likely have to submit a paper application in person. You will be required to pay several smaller fees, depending on whether you are replacing only your registration receipt or your license plate and/or decal, as well. Learn more about replacing your vehicle documents in Alaska by reading the following sections.
When do you need to get a copy of your vehicle registration in Alabama?
Vehicle owners are require to apply for a DMV copy of registration in Alabama in various situations. The most common reason to apply for a copy of car registration is losing your registration certificate. The following list outlines the other circumstances when you will have to apply for replacement vehicle documents:
- Stolen registration documents – If your registration card, decal and/or plates were stolen, you will have to apply for replacement items as soon as possible.
- Incorrect information – If you were issued registration documents with incorrect information, you will be required to notify the license plate official in your county of residence as soon as possible and obtain replacements.
- Damaged documents – If your registration card and accompanying items are damaged or destroyed, you must surrender them to the corresponding license plate office before replacing them.
- Registration not received – If you have ordered a vehicle registration and plates, but they were lost in the mail, you will have to apply for replacements before operating your motor vehicle.
Note: If you continue driving without a valid registration card, you may be subjected to certain fines and penalties.
How to Obtain a Replacement Vehicle Registration in Alabama
To obtain a DMV registration replacement in Alabama, you will have to apply with a paper application through the license plate agency in your residential county. Depending on your reason for replacing your vehicle registration, you may be required to provide certain items in addition to the applicable fees and application form. If you have obtained your registration credential from the MVD main office, you will be able to mail your request.
How to Replace a Vehicle Registration in Person
The standard method to replace a stolen, damaged or lost vehicle registration in Alabama is to submit your request in person through a nearby motor vehicle licensing office. The common steps to obtain a replacement vehicle registration are outlined below:
- Visit a nearby license plate issuing office.
- Fill out the Application for Replacement Credentials (Form MV 40-12-265-1) with the following information:
- Your personal details, such as name, address and contact information
- Your vehicle information, such as plate number and vehicle identification number
- The reason for replacing your car registration in AL
- Your signature and date of signature
- Submit your damaged registration items or a copy of your incorrect registration card, if available.
- Present Power of Attorney (Form MVT 5-13), if applying on behalf of the vehicle owner.
- Pay the applicable car registration replacement fee.
Your county vehicle registration office will issue your replacement documents during the same office visit as soon as it processes your application form and fee payment.
How to Replace a Vehicle Registration by Mail
The option to replace your car registration in Alabama by mail may only be utilized in certain unique situations. For example, if your registration credentials were issued by the state MVD directly, you will have to mail your application for a copy of car registration to the following address:
Alabama Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Division P.O. Box 327630 Montgomery, AL 36132-7630
Note: Contact the state MVD to inquire whether or not you can replace a DMV lost registration in AL via the mail-in method in other situations.
Alabama Stolen Car Registration Requirements
Car owners can replace a vehicle registration in Alabama without meeting any special requirements in most cases. However, in the event of a third stolen car registration, motorists will be required to report the incident and obtain a copy of the police report. License plate officials will replace stolen registration documents in such cases only if they receive the police report along with the standard application form.
Alabama DMV Sticker Replacement
If you need an Alabama DMV sticker replacement in addition to a copy of your registration card, you can follow the same application steps as outlined above. To successfully apply for an MVD sticker replacement, you will be required to check the corresponding box on the MV 40-12-265-1 form and submit it along with the applicable fee payment. Note that you can utilize the standard application form to replace your registration card, decal and license plate at the same time.
Alabama Vehicle Registration Replacement Fees
The division will issue an Alabama replacement vehicle registration only to applicants who submit the correct fee payment along with their applications. The following list outlines the standard cost for a DMV duplicate registration and other related items:
- Duplicate vehicle registration fee – Varies from county to county
- DMV replacement sticker fee – $2
- Replacement plate cost – $2
Since the total cost to replace your vehicle documents may vary depending on your residential county, contact your nearby motor vehicle licensing official to get an exact estimate.