If your vehicle's registration card, license plate(s) or stickers are lost, stolen, or damaged, you may apply for a replacement with the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles. While the procedure differs slightly depending on what needs to be replaced, you will usually need to complete the Duplicate Title Affidavit of the Vehicle Application.
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT REGISTRATION CARD
You can apply for a replacement registration card if your card is lost, stolen, or damaged by following these steps:
- Complete the Duplicate Title Affidavit of the Vehicle Application.
- If your current registration card has been damaged, attach the damaged card to the application.
- Pay the duplicate registration fee, currently $12, though additional charges might be applicable.
An application for a replacement registration card can be made in person as detailed above, online
, or by mail. To apply in person, visit your local OMV office
When applying online, you need to fill the duplicate online registration request form
and pay the fee.
When applying by mail, include the completed application and fee, and mail to:
Office of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 64886
Baton Rouge, LA 70896
APPLYING FOR A REPLACEMENT LICENSE PLATES
If one or both of your license plates
and/or tags are lost, stolen, or damaged, you must apply for replacement plate(s) immediately. You can obtain replacement plates in person at the local OMV office
by following these steps:
- Complete the Appropriate Application for replacement plates. The correct application depends on whether you have regular, special interest, or personalized plates.
- Bring the damaged plate(s) with you, if you still have them.
- If the plates were stolen, file a complaint with the police after you get your replacement plates.
- Bring a copy of your current registration certificate.
- If you have just renewed your registration within the past 60 days, and you did not get new stickers, you can obtain the new stickers for free.
- Pay the appropriate duplicate license plate fee, which is currently $10 plus an additional fee of $8 towards handling.