Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
Duplicate title application information in the event of a lost, stolen or damaged LA vehicle title
You may apply for a duplicate vehicle title if your original title is lost, stolen, never received, or damaged. A vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, so owners must apply for and obtain a replacement before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the DPSMV 1799 vehicle application form, making sure to indicate on the form that you are applying for a duplicate title.
- Once completed, you must have the "Duplicate Title Affidavit" portion of the application form properly notarized.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
- If a copy of the Louisiana registration certificate is with you, submit it with the request. Louisiana maintains microfilm records for 7 years for registration certificates. In case you do not have a copy to enclose, please mention it as this will speed up your request, instead of it getting rejected.
- If your title shows a lienholder, you must include a satisfaction of lien. If the lien is to remain, the "Affidavit of Non-Possession of Title by Lienholder" must be completed and notarized.
- In case someone other than the registered owner is collecting the duplicate title, the authorization statement must be checked and mailing address filled.
- If an agent is handling the application instead of the registered owner, a notarized power of attorney must be submitted along with the application.
Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit an $18.50 duplicate title fee, plus a processing fee of $8.00 which might vary (more here). Checks and money orders should be payable to the Louisiana Department of Revenue. Personal or business checks (a driver's license must be listed or the check will be returned), cashier's checks, money orders or cash (not to be sent in the mail) are accepted.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your local OMV, or mail the package to:
Office of Motor Vehicles P.O. Box 64886 Baton Rouge, LA 70896
- The duplicate title should reach you within 30 days of submitting an application and paying in the fees. In case it does not, the local OMV must be informed. There is a provision to issue a free replacement within 60 days from the date of issuance. If the local OMV is not informed on time, the fee will have to be paid again.
- See also Title Transfers, Replacing Your License, and Replacing your Registration.
- See also Address Changes and Bill of Sale.