Compare Auto Insurance Rates and Save DMV.com Exclusive!
For several reasons you may need to replace a vehicle title. Figure out how in this article
In case the original title of your vehicle is lost, stolen or damaged, you may apply for a duplicate one. Since a vehicle with a missing title cannot be bought or sold, the owners need to apply for and obtain a duplicate vehicle title before they can sell their vehicle.
WHAT YOU NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR A DUPLICATE/REPLACEMENT TITLE
- Complete the Duplicate Title Request and Receipt (DR 2539A) form, and then sign it. Please note that the application can only be signed by the owner, lienholder, or authorized agent by power of attorney. The person signing the duplicate title application needs to provide proof of identification.
- Once completed, the application form has to be properly notarized.
- If your original title is damaged or mutilated, you must return the original title when applying for a replacement.
- If your title shows a lienholder, you must include a notarized lien release on the lienholder's letterhead with information on the make, model and VIN of the vehicle, the owner's name, date of lien release and signature.
- A Power of Attorney, if you are not the owner or lienholder, but an authorized agent. If applicable, a Supplemental Secure and Verifiable Identification Information and Attestation Clause form must also be submitted.
- Proof of identification is required. For vehicles titled on 1 July 2006 or later, a Secure and Verifiable ID form should also be submitted.
Along with your application form and the other materials, you must submit an $8.20 duplicate title fee. Checks and money orders should be payable to the Colorado Department of Revenue. Personal checks must include your name, address, date of birth, and driver license number. You will also need to include a self-addressed stamped envelope for the DMV to send you the duplicate title.
SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION
You can submit the application and fees for a duplicate title at your county office, or mail the package:
By Regular Mail (with a self-addressed stamped envelope) to:
Colorado Department of Revenue DMV - Title Section Denver, CO 80261-0016
By Express Mail (with a self-addressed pre-paid express envelope) to:
Colorado Department of Revenue 1375 Sherman Street DMV - Title Section