You can replace your car title online, by mail or in person, depending on your state or county of residence. If your car title has been lost, damaged or stolen and you do not replace it, you may be unable to transfer your vehicle’s ownership rights during a sale or prove that you are the car’s owner. To obtain a replacement title, you must fill out the proper application form, submit a valid form of identification, provide documentation related to the satisfaction of a lien, if applicable, and pay for a replacement fee. Our guide contains everything you need to know to successfully replace your auto title. You will also learn about other titling procedures, such as the process of transferring vehicle ownership.

2. By Mail

Certain state DMVs offer a mail-in method for requesting a car title replacement. To apply by mail, you must send in a copy of your state-issued drivers license or ID card, along with a filled-out application form. Moreover, you must include copies of documents that prove that any liens on the vehicle have been satisfied. To pay for the applicable title replacement fees, make sure to mail an acceptable payment method to the DMV, such as a money order or a check. After your request is received and processed, which can take an extended period of time given the duration in transit, you will be sent a replacement title certificate via mail.

3. In Person at a DMV Office

Vehicle owners may prefer or be required to replace a car title in person by visiting a local DMV office. During this visit, applicants must complete the proper application form and identify themselves by submitting a drivers license or ID card. In addition, car owners must provide vehicle-related credentials that allow the DMV to locate their records. Note that applicants must also provide documentation proving that any liens on their cars have been satisfied. Finally, motorists will be asked to pay for the applicable car title replacement fees. Because most DMV offices experience long wait times, drivers are encouraged to fully prepare for the transaction so as to avoid potential mistakes and repeat visits.

Replacing a Pennsylvania lost car title is a procedure that can be completed through the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) of the state Department of Transportation (DOT). Vehicle owners who lose their title certificates and do not request a replacement car title may encounter certain inconveniences when completing several vehicle-related procedures with the state DOT. For instance, if you are planning on selling a vehicle, you will be unable to properly transfer the title to the buyer.

If you are the purchaser, on the other hand, you will be unable to title and register your newly purchased vehicle in such cases. Get information on how to get a replacement car title in PA by reading the following sections.

When do you need to get a duplicate car title in Pennsylvania?

The procedure to replace a lost car title at the DMV in Pennsylvania is typically initiated in the event that the vehicle owner loses or defaces his or her certificate of title. However, drivers often request a car title replacement under other circumstances as well. For instance, car owners whose original title was lost in the mail when it was sent by the department have the option of requesting a replacement car title in PA free of charge.

You may also need to replace the title certificate if it was stolen and when the vehicle owner is applying for a clean certificate of title after satisfying a lien. If you are wondering how to replace a stolen car title, note that the application steps are the same as those that apply for the standard title replacement transaction. Contact the department to learn whether or not other situations require you to apply for a duplicate title.

Documents Required When Applying for a Pennsylvania Car Title Copy

During the process of requesting a replacement vehicle title in Pennsylvania, applicants will be required to meet several requirements for replacing a lost or damaged car title, such as submitting the necessary paperwork and fee payment. The documentation requirements to replace a lost vehicle title at the DMV in PA typically include an application form and any pertinent documents that vary depending on the applicant’s circumstances. If the applicant is the registered car owner, he or she will be required to fill out the replacement title application form. However, if the applicant is a lienholder or a dealer representative, he or she will have to fill out different forms.

Additional documents to request a replacement car title in PA are required when obtaining a title copy that excludes a satisfied lien and when applying for a duplicate title certificate for purposes of transferring a vehicle to another state. If the customer is replacing a vehicle title after satisfying the conditions of a lien, he or she may also be required to submit a lien release letter obtained from the lienholder. If the vehicle owner needs a duplicate title in order to title and register the vehicle in another state, on the other hand, he or she will also have to submit a driving license copy and a document showing the out-of-state address.

Available Methods for Replacing Your Car Title in Pennsylvania

Vehicle owners who need information on how to replace a vehicle title in Pennsylvania must note that the state DOT currently offers two application methods: by mail and in person. The option to replace a car title online is not yet available. Also, both the process of requesting a replacement vehicle title in person and the mail-in application method typically follow the same requirements.

By Mail

To obtain a copy of a lost car title in Pennsylvania in a convenient manner, vehicle owners can mail their applications to the DOT Bureau of Motor Vehicles along with the applicable fee payment. Prior to initiating the process to replace a car title by mail, however, inquire with the department about the exact application form that you need under your current circumstances. Depending on your specific case, you may also be required to submit additional paperwork, as outlined above.

Once you collect the necessary items to request a replacement auto title in PA by mail, send your application package to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles title office in Harrisburg. Note that, depending on whether you are applying as the original owner, the lienholder or a dealer, you may be required to direct your request to a different P.O. Box. The correct address is displayed on the corresponding replacement title application form. When completing the procedure to replace a vehicle title by mail, ensure to enclose the fee payment in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

In Person

Car owners may also be able to request a car title replacement in Pennsylvania by delivering their application in person through the corresponding DOT title office that processes requests for duplicate titles. Therefore, prior to initiating the procedure to replace a lost car title in person in PA, contact the department to inquire which facilities process walk-in title replacement requests. To expedite the process of replacing a vehicle title in person, you can obtain the corresponding replacement title application form and fill it out prior to your office visit. Once you submit the request form, any pertinent paperwork and the applicable fee payment, your application will be processed and a request for manufacturing a replacement title will be forwarded.

How to Fill out the Duplicate Car Title Application in Pennsylvania

To successfully replace a lost car title with the DMV in Pennsylvania, customers must ensure that they submit a properly filled out request form that contains true and correct statements. If the department determines that your application for a lost car title duplicate contains fraudulent data, you may be subjected to penalties such as imprisonment terms and steep fines. Vehicle owners requesting a replacement vehicle title in PA will typically be required to input the following types of information:

  • The reason for applying for a duplicate title
  • The owner’s data, such as his or her name, address, birth date and driver’s license number
  • Details about the vehicle in question, such as the vehicle identification number and the title number
  • The applicant’s signature and telephone number
  • The signature and stamp of a notary public
  • Lien information, if applicable

The data outlined above pertains to the standard replacement car title request form, which is only available to registered vehicle owners who did not have a lien and to those who have satisfied the conditions of a lien. If you are filling out the lienholder or the dealer application for a duplicate title, you will be required to input a different set of information.

Pennsylvania Car Title Replacement Fees

Vehicle owners wondering what are the fees to replace a lost car title in Pennsylvania must note that the state DOT imposes the same cost for a duplicate title as the one that applies for the issuance of original title certificates. Therefore, in order to finalize the procedure to request a replacement car title, applicants will be required to pay $53.

However, this fee only applies in circumstances where the applicant is the registered vehicle owner or a Pennsylvania dealer. When requesting a replacement auto title in PA as a lien-holder, applicants may be required to remit additional payments under certain unique situations.

Last updated on Wednesday, January 2 2019.

Have a Question? Get Quick Online Answers!