Pennsylvania VA benefits are overseen by the state Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA), an agency working to provide servicemembers and their families with quality assistance. These veterans benefits include burial honors, pensions for blind, amputee and paralyzed servicemembers, and educational grants.

Furthermore, federal veterans administration benefits are available under the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). These benefits include disability compensation, health care, life insurance and federal pensions. To learn more about assistance programs for benefits and how to apply to them, review the sections below.

Disability Benefits for Veterans in Pennsylvania

Veterans may apply for VA disability pay in PA if they hold service-connected disabilities, including mental health conditions like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Federal VA disability benefits include Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC), Special Monthly Compensation (SMC) and general disability pay.

To apply for disabled veterans benefits, servicemembers must complete an Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits (VA Form 21-526EZ), or they may make DIC VA disability claims by completing an Application for DIC, Death Pension and/or Accrued Benefits (21-534EZ).

To apply for Special Monthly compensation, service members must complete Form 21-2680. Service members may also apply for VA life insurance, such as Servicemembers’ Group Life, Veterans’ Group Life or Family Servicemembers’ Group Life.

Other life insurance policies include Mortgage Life, Service-Disabled Life and Servicemembers’ Group Life Traumatic Injury Protection.

Health Insurance Benefits for Veterans in Pennsylvania

Veterans may apply for federal VA health care in Pennsylvania to receive coverage for services such as medical exams, immunizations, prescription medications, emergency aid and mental health treatments.

Additionally, veterans eligible for VA health insurance may apply for admission into the state’s six Veterans’ Homes if they require long-term nursing care.

Furthermore, veterans may apply for VA medical benefits in PA using the following application methods:

  • Online
  • By telephone at 1-877-222-8387
  • In person at a VA medical facility
  • By mail

To apply for veterans health insurance by mail, service members must complete an Application for Health Care (VA Form 10-10EZ or 10-10EC) and submit it to the following address:

Health Eligibility Center
2957 Clairmont Road, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30329-1647

Pension Benefits for Veterans in Pennsylvania

Veterans may apply for a VA pension through the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and under the DMVA, as both state and federal VA pension benefits are available to eligible servicemembers.

As such, federal VA pension benefits are available to low-income servicemembers, surviving spouses or patients in need of Aid and Attendance (A&A). Housebound allowances are also available.

To apply for federal veterans pension benefits, service members must complete VA Form 21P-527EZ or 21P-534EZ to apply as a surviving spouse. To apply for A&A or Housebound benefits, patients must mail medical evidence to the following address:

Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
Attn: Philadelphia Pension Center
P.O. Box 5206
Janesville, WI  53547-5206

Furthermore, Pennsylvania veterans pension program options are available to blind, paralyzed or amputated service members with a service-connected injury or disease.

These veteran pension programs include the Amputee and Paralyzed Veterans Pension program and Blind Servicemembers Pension. Both programs provide veterans with a monthly pension of $150.

To apply for these programs, servicemembers must visit a County Veterans Affairs Office.

Housing Benefits for Veterans in Pennsylvania

Several Pennsylvania VA housing services are available to servicemembers and their families. Those in need of extended veterans housing assistance in PA may apply for admission into any of the state’s six Veteran’s Homes.

These VA housing assistance program options provide skilled nursing, dementia and domiciliary care at various facilities throughout the state. To apply for extended housing assistance, patients must complete an Application for Admission (BVH Fonn-101) and mail it to the following address:

Bureau of Veterans Homes
Attn: Admission's Office
Bldg. 0-47, Fort Indiantown Gap
Annville, PA 17003

Federal VA home loan assistance also exists to help veterans with their housing needs. This is in addition to real estate tax exemptions for servicemembers with disabilities, financial support through the Military Family Relief Assistance Program (MFRAP), temporary financial relief and support under the Veterans’ Trust Fund (VTF).

Note: Veterans who wish to learn about federal VA home loan rates and eligibility requirements may contact the Loan Guaranty Office at 1-877-827-3702. To learn more about other housing benefits, individuals must contact a County Veterans Affairs Office, or they may complete a Military Family Relief Program Application (PA MFRAP Form 1) to apply for financial support through the MFRAP.

Education Benefits for Veterans in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania VA education benefits are available to servicemembers and their eligible dependents.

The GI bill and its variants, including the post 911 GI bill, can help veterans pay for most or all of their educational needs. Scholarships for veterans are also available, including the Fry Scholarship.

Other educational benefits for veterans and their families include the following:

  • The state’s Educational Gratuity Program for eligible children of service members
  • The Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)
  • Federal veteran scholarships, including Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (DEA)

To apply for veterans education benefits under the Gratuity Program, students must contact their local Veterans Affairs Office. To apply for Montgomery GI bill benefits or other similar types of benefits, however, veterans must complete an Application for Education Benefits (Form 22-1990) and mail it to the following address:

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616

Employment Benefits for Veterans in Pennsylvania

Veterans seeking Pennsylvania VA jobs assistance receive access to employment services under the state’s CareerLink program. The program helps applicants find jobs for veterans, while also providing them with free counseling, placement services and referrals. Additional employment benefits include civil service preference.

Note: To learn more about veterans preference, contact the Civil Service Commission at 717-787-6039.

Additionally, federal veteran jobs services are available to service members seeking jobs in Pennsylvania. These VA employment services include the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) and Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment (VR&E). To apply for these services, veterans must complete the process online.

Funeral Benefits for Veterans in Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania VA death benefits are available through the state and federal government and include burial honors at three national cemeteries in Newtown, Bridgeville and Annville.

Under these VA burial benefits, service members receive a gravesite, government headstone, flag, and a Presidential Memorial Certificate (PMC). Additional veterans death benefits include the opening and closing of the grave as well as perpetual care.

To learn more about these burial benefits, surviving family members must contact the funeral director for their County Veterans Affairs Office.

Last updated on Friday, February 28 2020.