Washington VA benefits range from claims assistance and counseling to job training and tuition waivers. To obtain veterans benefits like these, service members may apply for local assistance through the state’s Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA), an organization working to connect military members to the programs available to them.

Additional Veterans Administration benefits include burial honors, extended nursing home care and transitional housing for homeless servicemembers. Federal veterans assistance is available under the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). To learn more about these benefits and how to apply for them, review the information below.

Disability Benefits for Veterans in Washington

Veterans with service-connected disabilities may apply for VA disability pay in Washington, Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) or Special Monthly Compensation (SMC).

To obtain these VA disability benefits in WA, claimants must complete an Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits (Form 21-526EZ). To obtain disabled veterans benefits through DIC or SMC, claimants must complete VA Form 21-534EZ or 21-2680.

Note: For assistance in obtaining disability compensation, servicemembers may contact a WDVA Service Officer at 1-800-562-2308.

Servicemembers may also apply for VA life insurance, including Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI), Service-Disabled Insurance (S-DVI) and Veterans’ Group Life (VGLI).

Other veterans life insurance policies include Servicemembers’ Group Life (SGLI), Family Servicemembers’ Group Life (FSGLI) and Servicemembers’ Group Life Traumatic Injury Protection (TSGLI).

Health Insurance Benefits for Veterans in Washington

Servicemembers who qualify for VA health care may apply for VA health insurance to receive services such as preventative care, emergency aid, immunizations, genetic counseling and surgery coverage.

Additionally, VA medical benefits in Washington include statewide readjustment and trauma services, PTSD counseling and the Women Veterans Program. Veterans may apply for veterans health insurance by completing an online or paper application.

To apply by mail, veterans must complete VA Form 10-10EZ and submit it to the following address:

Health Eligibility Center
2957 Clairmont Road, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30329-1647

Note: Veterans may obtain health insurance in person at a VA medical center, or by calling 1-877-222-8387.

Pension Benefits for Veterans in Washington

Federal and Washington VA pension programs are available to low-income servicemembers and their families. These veterans pension programs include survivors and service members pensions, Aid and Attendance (A&A) and Housebound allowances.

To obtain these VA pension benefits, claimants must complete VA Form 21P-534EZ to apply as a surviving spouse, or Form 21P-527EZ to apply as a servicemember.

To enroll in the A&A veterans pension benefits or to apply for Housebound allowances, claimants must send proof of medical eligibility to the address below.

Department of Veterans Affairs
Claims Intake Center
Attn: St. Paul Pension Center
P.O. Box 5365
Janesville, WI 53547-5365

Note: An additional va pension program in WA includes the Veterans Innovations Program (VIP), a service providing low-income military members and their families with financial assistance. To apply for the benefit, claimants must complete a Veterans Innovations Program Application (VIP Form 1) and submit it to their Local WorkSource Veterans Representative. For additional information, applicants may call 1-800-562-2308.

Housing Benefits for Veterans in Washington

Several types of VA housing programs are available to servicemembers and their families. These veterans housing assistance programs include home loans, property tax relief, transitional housing and long-term nursing care at state Veterans Homes.

For instance, veterans may apply for a federal VA home loan, including a Purchase or Cash-Out Refinance Loan.

To access VA home loan rates, veterans must complete a Request for a Certificate of Eligibility (Form 26-1880) and mail it to the following address:

Department of Veterans Affairs
Denver Regional Loan Center
Box 25126 
Denver, CO 80225

Additional housing assistance for veterans in Washington includes income-based property tax exemptions and deferrals for qualifying servicemembers with disabilities. To learn more about the exemption, veterans must contact their County Assessor.

However, surviving spouses may obtain these VA housing benefits by contacting the Department of Revenue at 360-534-1409.

Furthermore, the transitional veterans housing assistance program is available to homeless or at-risk servicemembers and their families. These veteran housing programs include the following:

  • The Homeless Veterans Reintegration Project – complete HVRP Form 1 or call 1-800-562-2308
  • Building 9 Transitional Housing – complete the B9Vets Application and Intake Assessment or call 360-895-4371
  • King County Veterans Services – call 877-904-8387
  • Incarcerated Veterans Program – contact 206-450-1652 or 206-305-4513

Note: Additional VA housing benefits include 24-hour nursing care at the state’s three Veterans Homes in Orting, Spokane and Walla Walla, or the Soldiers Home in Orting. To schedule a tour of these facilities, contact 1-877-838-7787.

Education Benefits for Veterans in Washington

Federal and Washington VA education benefits are available to eligible servicemembers and their dependents. The GI bill and its variants, like the post 911 GI bill, help veterans cover the costs of education or career training.

Other educational benefits include the following:

  • Services under Washington Career Bridge
  • Full or partial tuition waivers for eligible servicemembers or National Guardsmen
  • Vet-friendly campuses
  • Operation Recognition
  • The Veterans Conservation Corps Program (VCC)
  • Apprenticeships
  • Survivors and Dependents Assistance (DEA)

Full scholarships for veterans in WA are available to the dependents of servicemembers with total disabilities, or to the children of veterans who were killed in service.

Employment Benefits for Veterans in Washington

Several Washington VA jobs resources are available to assist veterans as they transition into the workforce.

To find jobs for veterans, service members may access the following programs, services and benefits:

  • Employment preference
  • Re-employment rights
  • WorkSource Washington
  • Military retirement credits
  • Translating military training to state licensure
  • The online employment center under the U.S. Department of Labor
  • VA for Vets

To learn more about these veteran employment benefits, servicemembers may visit a local WorkSource office.

Funeral Benefits for Veterans in Washington

Washington VA death benefits include interment at the Tahoma National Cemetery in Kent or the Washington State Veterans Cemetery in Medical Lake.

Additionally, VA burial benefits include a burial plot or columbarium niche, concrete liner, an inscribed gravesite, perpetual care, and the opening and closing of the grave. Other veterans death benefits include a 30-minute committal service and burials for spouses and eligible dependent children.

However, families must pay $300 for non-servicemember burials.

Servicemembers may pre-register for veterans burial benefits at the State Cemetery in Medical Lake by completing a Washington State Veterans Cemetery Pre-Registration Application and mailing it to the following address:

Washington State Veteran's Cemetery
21702 W. Espanola Rd
Medical Lake, WA 99022
Last updated on Friday, March 6 2020.