Applying for Washington disability placards is a procedure that can be completed through the state Department of Licensing (DOL). However, only motorists who qualify for a disabled person placard can receive such permit. To do so, applicants need to submit the necessary paperwork to the DOL, thus obtaining permission to park in a designated disabled parking space.

As such, the department imposes specific criteria for obtaining these credentials, such as having a qualifying medical condition that is verified by a licensed physician. There are currently three types of disabled parking badges: permanent, temporary and organizational. Learn more about the WA disability placard application procedure and see how to finalize a renewal or replacement process by reading the following sections.

Eligibility Requirements for Disability Placards in Washington

In order to obtain a disability parking permit in Washington, you must first ensure that you meet the imposed qualifications and are able to provide the state’s Department of Licensing with the relevant documentation. If you are wondering how to qualify for handicapped parking badges, note that the DOL will process your request if you have a medical condition or disability that meets one of the below criteria:

  • You are unable to walk 200 feet without rest.
  • You utilize portable oxygen.
  • You have limited mobility due to legal blindness.
  • You have a cardiac medical condition classified as Class III or IV.

Additional disability placard requirements include submitting a completed application form if applying for a permanent or temporary badge. Your application package for a DMV handicap parking permit must include an original prescription signed by your health care provider. If your organization provides transportation services to anyone with a qualifying disability, you can apply by furnishing a separate application form along with a copy of your business license.

How to Apply for a Disability Placard in Washington

Obtaining a disabled person placard is a process that can be finalized via two methods at the moment: in person and via mail. When submitting an application for disability placards, disabled motorists must ensure to include and submit all the relevant information and documents to a licensing office or to the address provided on the application form. For more detailed information about how to apply through each of these methods, read the following sections.

How to Apply for a Disability Placard in Washington by Mail

If you are currently initiating a WA disabled placard application procedure in order to obtain a permanent or temporary badge, you can submit your completed application via mail to the address listed on the form. It is important to remember to include all of the required details for a handicap placard, and make sure that a licensed medical professional signs the health care provider section. Furthermore, you will also need to furnish an original and signed prescription with your application form.

How to Apply for a Disability Placard in Washington in Person

Disabled motorists who are unable to provide the DOL with a Washington application for disability placards by mail can visit a nearby vehicle licensing office location in WA and obtain a permit in person. The disabled placard application steps are the same as those that relate to mailed-in requests.

Applicants will need to present a properly completed application form along with a signed prescription to a DOL office. However, prior to making a visit, it is best to contact the particular office you intend to visit and find out whether some specific identification credential, such as an official WA driving license or an ID card, will be necessary for you to apply.

Note: Applications for organizational disability placards in Washington can also be filed via mail or in person by submitting a filled out application form along with a current business license and any additional required documents to the DOL.

In any case, the state’s Department of Licensing will send your new disabled parking placard as soon as it processes your request. Moreover, you will receive an “Individual With Disabilities Parking Privilege” card separately within two to four weeks, which you must provide to a police officer whenever requested.

How to Renew Disability Placards in Washington

Requesting a handicap placard renewal in WA is a necessary step for holders of permanent badges, as these credentials expire every five years. In addition, motorists who hold temporary permits must be mindful that those badges are only valid for up to one year.

Applicants wondering how to renew disability parking permit credentials that are permanent will receive a renewal notice 45 days prior to their documents’ expiration date. To complete their process in such case, they must have a licensed professional sign the health care provider section and provide them with a new and original prescription.

If you hold a temporary handicap placard in Washington and you need it for a period that is longer than one year, you will need to apply for another temporary permit. Remember that once your current badge expires, you are required to return it to the Department of Licensing for destruction either by mail or in person.

How to Replace Disability Placards in Washington

Disabled motorists who would like to know how to replace a handicap placard that has been lost, stolen, destroyed or mutilated may obtain a duplicate credential by submitting a completed application form to the DOL. This particular application document for a disability placard replacement requires motorists to provide specific information, such as personal details and legal signatures, as well as the number of the placards that are no longer in their possession.

Washington Disability Placard Fees

If you are wondering whether any Washington handicap placard fees apply when making application with the DOL, note that the department currently issues such permits at no cost. On the other hand, if you decide to apply for disability parking license plates, you will be required to pay for an initial fee for the credential.

Furthermore, you will need to pay for the other vehicle registration and renewal expenses, which are due every year. In any case, fees are subject to change without notice.

Last updated on Thursday, March 7 2019.